how much power can I draw from my meter ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul2129

Reaction score
You guys were so great when I had a question previously that I thought I might ask you something else, slightly unrelated to my last question however

At some point in the near future I'd take delivery of an electric car, the plan is to mainly charge it at work, and I have four possible electric meters which I could connect my charging socket to. Of these four, two are more ideally positioned based on where I'll likely park. the car appears to be able to charge in 3 ways, standard 13A plug (uselessly slow) an "industrial socket" will this be what I call a "cooker/dryer" socket, is it 7KW ? (quoted as 7.4 on the car manufacturers website)

Would my electrician make a separate connection direct to the meter (with it's own fuse ?) our consumer unit appears already full with the things it currently supplies

I'm guessing that our meters, which both appear to say "Single Phase 20-80amp" will suffice...... they're pretty old ?

and that if I want to have the ability to use the off-peak as well as day-rate, then I'll need two connections ? (the night rate socket will not operate during the day, the meter will be inactive ?)

the final way to charge is the manufacturers own "Wall connector" which appears to charge the fastest, using between 11 and 16.5kw... althought this would likely not be installed at work

you have 4 meters at work?

there is no such thing as a 'cooker/dryer' socket. most car charge points have their own connectors which can go upto 63a TP

best get someone to go look at it. it should be possible but there are many other factors to be considered like available capacity etc. not something that can be done over the internet. fitted one a while back other side of the wall to the 800a TP mains supply for the building, but only 32a SP available to ended up with 2x 16a points...

and if youre looking for a manufacturer, avoid rolec. their 'customer service' is lettuced, as is the locking pin on their charge point outlets

Last edited by a moderator:
Work is four properties in a row, bought at different times, so each building has its own meter, despite the areas having been knocked through inside

bg 'dryer socket' I meant a heavier gauge of wiring to the appropriate socket. I clearly don't understand what I'm talking about, that's true

Ok, thank you for your input :)

i should stick to my day job :(

A cooker/dryer socket? Sounds like you have been looking on American websites, they have 240V outlets for cookers and dryers while the rest of the outlets are 115V. In the UK we just have sockets, with a current rating. Usually 13, 16, 32 or 63 amps would be used.

I'm sorry, my original question was worded wrong, I didn't mean to say socket, more I meant that heavier gauge wiring to the 'industrial' socket as mentioned on the manufacturers website.....whatever wiring is needed, more than goes to a standard 13a plug socket

Asking NPower about an economy 7 meter only resulted in a much higher charge for the KWH used during the day

.....so charging at work is better, plus, any (minimal) cost goes into my business accounts, so it's better for me that way