Ideal solution for garden lights, sockets and security lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam se

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to get some quotes for garden electrics, but wanted to get some Sparky's views on what would be a good solution.

What I want:

*Garden sockets at each end of the garden

*Lights all along the garden fence and wall of house, I will use low watt LED lights, about 16 in total.

*Three PIR security lights

I want to control each of those three separatly, meaning I don't want one switch that turns them all on and off, I want three switches, ideally in the house.

I have two ring circuits on the external walls: kitchen circuit, and dining room. The kitchen has one fused spur. 

The CU has two RCDs.

The CU could provide a circuit to the garden but it would involve a lot of chasing and internal work.

What are good designs for this?

Some of my thoughts:

Three switched fused spurs from kitchen ring, one each for the sockets, lights and security lights. This way I get the switches I want, plus it can spur off the kitchen or dining room circuit, and no need for a new circuit to the CU.  all in one RCD sockets for added safety. Armoured cable underground from one end of the garden to the other for the sockets. Outdoor rubber 3 core for the lights, wired in series, using Appropriate IP rated connections.

Ideally i want to fully isolate the garden electrics from my home electrics so that if they trip, I don't get issues indoors.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks!

Three switched fused spurs from kitchen ring, one each for the sockets, lights and security lights. This way I get the switches I want, plus it can spur off the kitchen or dining room circuit, and no need for a new circuit to the CU.

That's one way of doing it. Or you could use a single spur and some arrangement of grid switches. Depends exactly what you want and what you are plugging in to these sockets. You can have every light on its own switch if you want, makes no odds, all achievable.

all in one RCD sockets for added safety.

How have you arrived at this conclusion? If the entire circuit is already covered by an RCD adding more doesn't make it safer.

Armoured cable underground from one end of the garden to the other for the sockets.

Yes.

Outdoor rubber 3 core for the lights, wired in series, using Appropriate IP rated connections.

Parallel would work better. Don't think you need to be designing it to this extent, leave it to the electrician doing the job to pick materials, some will have their own methods. As long as it is done properly and tidily is your concern.

That's one way of doing it. Or you could use a single spur and some arrangement of grid switches. Depends exactly what you want and what you are plugging in to these sockets. You can have every light on its own switch if you want, makes no odds, all achievable.

How have you arrived at this conclusion? If the entire circuit is already covered by an RCD adding more doesn't make it safer.

Yes.

Parallel would work better. Don't think you need to be designing it to this extent, leave it to the electrician doing the job to pick materials, some will have their own methods. As long as it is done properly and tidily is your concern.

Thanks lurch. This helps me spot bad advice or solutions when I get my quotes.

The extra RCD, that's just my layman misunderstanding, assuming more RCDs are better. Thanks for clarifying. 

And thanks for the nudge on parallel rather than series. 

I intend to plug a fountain in one of the sockets for occasional summer use, and the other socket is for a leaf blower or jet wash, again very occasional.

The reason I want them switched is so that the lighting is only on when I want, and the sockets only on when I use them... Security lights can stay love but I would still prefer they had a switch.

Is there anything I should watch out for?

Also, what paperwork should I expect from a spark when the job is done?

Is there anything I should watch out for?

Just make sure you pick a proper electrician who can correctly dress and terminate cables as I have seen plenty of inexperienced electricians make a right hash of simple jobs.

Also, what paperwork should I expect from a spark when the job is done?

Depends on the electrician, anything from a minor works to an installation certificate.