Economy 7 water heater problem!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deano93

Reaction score
So I phoned edf to ask when my night rates were for cheaper electric and they told me times which the off peak switch was set to on and I'm not getting any hot water . How can I check if my off peak switches are even working ? Somehow feel like it's not 

A multimeter set to ohms will enable you to check each off peak circuit at the off peak CU when the off peak power is off. If the circuits test okay but are not working then u could be a fault with the time switch.  If you are living in the property it will be easy to check at night that the off peak power is coming on.

If it's no hot water, start by checking the immersion heater element and thermostat.

If the op isn't electrically minded, this would be an ideal job for a voltstick, hold it near one of the feeds and see if it lights when the power should be on.

Its pretty hard to tell TBH.

How may off peak devices do you have?

I have 3 fuses from the db but two of them supply the 2 storage heaters (off peak) and other one goes to the water tank at the bottom 

Thanks guys

Yea storage heater working although I turned them off for the summer . I have taken the cover off the case around the electrical part of the off peak element and there was a reset button so have tried that 

Yea storage heater working although I turned them off for the summer . I have taken the cover off the case around the electrical part of the off peak element and there was a reset button so have tried that 
You should get hot water tonight. Be careful, it may be too hot.

If the button pops again, you need a new thermostat which is a simple swap.

The usual symptoms of a failed thermostat, are you reset the button, next day water is hot, very hot indeed. Day after no hot water as the button has tripped again.

Un multímetro configurado en ohmios le permitirá verificar cada circuito de pico apagado en la CU fuera de pico cuando la potencia fuera de pico está apagada. Si los circuitos prueban bien pero no funcionan, puede ser un error con el interruptor de tiempo. Si vive en la propiedad, será fácil verificar por la noche que se está produciendo el apagado del pico.

Thats correct!!