Photobucket bans 3rd party hosted images

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a heads up, I know a few on here including myself use the above site to host images.

Overnight  the have changed their t&c's and no longer allow 3rd party hosting unless you pay their ransom of £30 / month.

Goodbye photobucket.

X(

I favour Flickr but on another forum where it won't take direct Flickr links they're suggesting postimage.io as a good alternative to Photobucket.

I've been downloading all my albums from PB today.

Why would you only store your stuff in one place, and even if you did why would you make that one single place a free mediocre image hosting site?

As for postimage.io, .io domains shouldn't be used for anything other than personal sites, or at least assume it might not work for long.

Whatever the outcome, general gist is make sure you have backups. Pretty much everything of mine is in at least 2 or 3 places in various locations.

so you want us to post the same image 3 times now, hosted on 3 different sites, just to make sure at least one of them shows up in posts?

Erm, no. I said if you only have one copy of your photos making the only place you have them a free online image hosting site is asking for trouble. I never said post everything 3 times. Have you heard of the word "backup" before?

yes, ive heard of backups, but whats that got to do with this? pretty much the only use here for photobucket is hosting the images. like i said, posting the same image multiple times from different sources is a bit useless

I just deleted my photobucket account.. They will not let you instantly though, apparently they will close it in a few days.. Thing is full of popups and is slow as hell anyway.. They must have Gerald Ratner as marketing manager.. Bye Bye Photobucket....

john..

I’ve located and saved 288 images and animation so far today, about a 100 more to go tomorrow.

@Lurch, it doesn’t matter where the images are stored, I still have to manually edit every single article in Knowledgebase to link the images.

There’s more I want to do for the Knowledgebase but photobucket has caused me hours of work I could do without and it will set my plans back. considerably.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just deleted my photobucket account.. They will not let you instantly though, apparently they will close it in a few days.. Thing is full of popups and is slow as hell anyway.. They must have Gerald Ratner as marketing manager.. Bye Bye Photobucket....

john..

same here, account deleted... at least in 2 days

yes, ive heard of backups, but whats that got to do with this? pretty much the only use here for photobucket is hosting the images. like i said, posting the same image multiple times from different sources is a bit useless

You're just being intentionally dense now. It is plainly obvious I was talking about @Onoff's "put all my pics on Photobucket only" routine.

@Lurch, it doesn’t matter where the images are stored, I still have to manually edit every single article in Knowledgebase to link the images.

I didn't say you didn't.

Photo bucket will not delete your account for several months despite what they say, I opened an account and deleted shortly afterwards but still got bombarded daily with photobucket emails and offers. 

I’ve located and saved 288 images and animation so far today, about a 100 more to go tomorrow.

There’s more I want to do for the Knowledgebase but photobucket has caused me hours of work I could do without and it will set my plans back. considerably.

Tony, How much (in MB) are all the images? I've got some paid for webhosting whats not doing a lot atm, we could try and stick them up there

As to the editting of the links, perhaps site admin could run a custom query on the database, with a little bit of code, its likely be possible to do the equivelent of a find/replace on the whole lot....

I was talking about @Onoff's "put all my pics on Photobucket only" routine.

Erm...don't think I said I put all my photos on there only. Got them all on HDD anyway.

More a case of downloading the "important" ones just in case. Even then it's really just a few sentimental albums.

Tony, How much (in MB) are all the images? I've got some paid for webhosting whats not doing a lot atm, we could try and stick them up there

As to the editting of the links, perhaps site admin could run a custom query on the database, with a little bit of code, its likely be possible to do the equivelent of a find/replace on the whole lot....

I’m up to 19 meg so far and another 100/150 images to go. Photobucket adds a lot of lettuced to the image that would be difficult to remove. I’ve been threatening to tidy up my account, there’s stuff on there from EB that won’t get used again.

I’ll PM my phone number and we can talk it through. I’ll be out most of today but have nothing planned for tomorrow (the joys of being retired)

I've got absolutely loads of online space you can have for the images, I'll just point a spare domain at an account and you can just keep filling it up as you wish.

Erm...don't think I said I put all my photos on there only. Got them all on HDD anyway.

Oh, just seemed that way when you said you were downloading them all. My apologies for making an incorrect assumption.