Sales strategy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering .      Looking at this months "Connector"  from Denmans at their branch coverage on the back page.    I've used them for years because the local branch have always looked after me.

Their branches cover the whole south coast ....up through England .... None in Scotland ....only two in Wales......NONE in London and surrounding area :Godno: ....... yet  four in Birmingham .

Just wondering why no branches in a massive area round London  ....the whole of Scotland ..and virtually the whole of Wales.   I know these things are carefully planned , I presume they avoid other names in the Rexel group like Senate , Newey & Eyre  etc.    :C

Thing is ...if it was 15 years ago say..... I could be looking for a wholesaler in , say , Wales  but no Denmans .    And it is sooooo difficult to try buying from Senate / Neweys  using your Denmans account. 

I was in Medlocks the other day & wanted a 2 way metal enclosure, they had none in stock but I was told there was one in their Elgin branch and a few at the branch in Stornoway! :slap

Didn't think there was even people living that far north let  alone wholesalers!

I was in Medlocks the other day & wanted a 2 way metal enclosure, they had none in stock but I was told there was one in their Elgin branch and a few at the branch in Stornoway! :slap

Didn't think there was even people living that far north let  alone wholesalers!

I ordered x10 22mm Schneider blanking plugs from Medlocks in Crayford. It was easier for them to do an inter branch order so they're now coming from the Haringey branch as local to the site. 95p each and no delivery charge! :)

I ordered x10 22mm Schneider blanking plugs from Medlocks in Crayford. It was easier for them to do an inter branch order so they're now coming from the Haringey branch as local to the site. 95p each and no delivery charge! :)

Haringey is my local Medlocks, Don't use as much as Hackney but they have a larger selection of stock.

Where are you working? 

@kerching

Quite normal to have a screwies and a fool station next to each other, often separated by a GSF or Howdens, I prefer fool station tbh.

i find it much easier and far cheaper to order online and get it delivered. about the only local place i use is screwfix

I sometimes use the local wholesalers if there isn't much in it price wise. Usually though there's quite a saving buying online, and a lot of the wholesalers have ****** all on the shelf now so it's next day anyway, might as well just order online and save the wasted trip for the most part.

I prefer fool station

I don't. Almost everything I buy from them is utter garbage.

I don't. Almost everything I buy from them is utter garbage.

I bought some of those black rubble sacks they have in tens behind the counter. Started off OK and thought they were magic, so much stuff was going in it was like the Tardis. I then realised that whatever you put in, to a bag, went straight through the bottom! :)  Made the mistake of buying an AEG drill from TS once after they had been taken over by the Chinese (TTI?). What a piece of lettuced! Nearly got nasty too when I took it back.

I bought a trap for a waste. It had a hole in it internally so wasn't actually doing what it should.

Fitted a batten to a wall today, used some hollow wall anchors that came from TS, stripped threads on all but one. Bought a few sizes a while ago, all the same.

Bought some SDS chisels, were blunt/dull in no time. Didn't even last the job out, meanwhile my Makita ones still work fine.

Etc...

Its annoyed me in the past, the firm has accounts with most wholesalers nearby. Working away ended up popping into rexel senate for something..... now no account at senates as we dont have one round here, but we do have an account at WF / Denmans (it was WF wade, then they re-branded at as denmans) which tehy suppoosedly are the same company as. could they cross branch it, could they courgette, ended up getting the bits as a cash sale on my card and putting the receipt in when back at base!

Where as  edundson still has some branches branded as firms they took over, yet there is no problem with using account at any of them

Whenever possible I buy established branded stuff

own brand stuff is almost always rancid runny canine faeces .

erbauer....sounds like vomit when you pronounce it

forge steel?......made on a chocolate forge.......having said that I bought a "sacrificial" wood chisel as a general purpose tw@ting bar/tool. It has taken more abuse than a Tory MP in BDSM Club and is still going

same as accessories/light fittings.  If you ever see DIALL or Colours or a combination of the words B&Q/chrome/crystal,then run RUN AWAY

There are one or two people up there Ducky ....theres one called Dave for a start.

Not sure if they have electricity though.

Tried Erbauer 115mm 1mm slitting discs...thought the bearing had gone in the grinder! :)

However.....quite impressed with the Rhodius ones that come 10 in a tin from Toolstation.

Also Abracs ones that my fixing company supply. Really good. As happy with them or Rhodius as Makita discs.

Tried Erbauer 115mm 1mm slitting discs...thought the bearing had gone in the grinder! :)

However.....quite impressed with the Rhodius ones that come 10 in a tin from Toolstation.

Also Abracs ones that my fixing company supply. Really good. As happy with them or Rhodius as Makita discs.

That's why my grinder sounds so rough....

Better go find the Bosch ones I pilfered from my previous employment!

Don't think I paid for the erbaur  ones either! :lol:

@Lurch After reading the thread over, (I'm sad like that) were you using intersets?

Not using a setting tool can be hit & miss.

I've noticed lately that TS has gone both expensive and sells a lot of cheap and nasty kit, mind you SF is similar with some stuff, I got caught out on a job and needed a long 16mm drill bit, bought an Erbauer one as I have the expensive ones already, but they were not in the car, anyway it did one hole in a piece of concrete and ended up with no tip on it.

These days I only buy cheap stuff if it's for a one use and throw it type job,or something I'll need once or twice a year.

One interesting thing I noticed recently, some of the Electricfix stuff, so called trade only, is no cheaper than just buying it over the counter on the SF side,needed some 2.5 T&E yesterday, £29.38 for a 50 mtr drum on the trade side, same price on the retail side, WTGrape? Occasionally they do have some good stuff cheap, last year I needed a new 115mm grinder, a Bosch 110v in the trade side was £35, it was over£50 on the other side.