Xmas lights road closures

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to quote for installation and removal of Xmas lights. Now 'banner' lights across roads will require street closures. I know I need to apply for  permission to do this, but was unsure if I need a 'ticket' for erecting signage and barriers, diviersion signs etc etc

I think any work on the "highway" you need to be a contractor with a minor streetworks permit.  I found this out when looking for someone to make the road crossing to get the services onto my building site.

I was even told any work within 3 metres of the road if it is unfenced was classed as "the verge" and would require a similar permit. This forced me to erect a temporary fence to enure it was not classed as "the verge" and so no permit needed for me to work on my own land.

permit is £70 - got that bit sussed already. We would only need road closed / managed for a few hours, so It's tempting to just shove a few signs and barriers up and crack on at 5am. :innocent

if its short duration closure, you can get away without a closure as such, just stick road works & traffic control ahead signs up etc and have someone with a 'stop works' sign to stop the traffic whilst your busy

might be the better option unless you really need fully closed for hours. saves all the diversions etc

Last edited by a moderator:
exactly what I was thinking Andy - I've got a hi-viz, it's amazing what you can do with that on.... :slap

Fortuntely there are only 8 overhead lights to install, and several of these are in a pedestrian area, which is lucky.

Depends on the town council and the size of the place too. Plenty of places round here where none of that goes on, just get a cherry picker and get on with it.

If only the forum had an award for the earliest mention of Christmas, Binky would win hands down, JULY!? about as far away from christmas as you can get?

Doc H.

the council fella I've been talking to started planning just after last Xmas - makes a change from the last minute rush non-sense most things work under these days

I used to have my highways ticket when I worked for BT, in fact I still have all my gear, signs, cones,lights etc. Generally if it looks right you won't have a problem. Many years ago I had to close a lane on a main street in manchester (Oldham St),no highways tickets back then, I just spoke to the local police and they were fine, they sent someone round to look at the closure and that was it.

If you are doing any kind of work on the highway that may cause delays, even of a few minutes, you MUST inform the police. They in turn will inform the other emergency services so they are aware they may be held up if going to a shout. No matter if you have your ticket,or how well laid out the works are,if you delay the emergency services you'll end up with a butt kicking. They're pretty friendly, just inform them of the date of the works, the location  of the works and the approximate start and finish times, they may send someone to look at it they may not.

Incidentally check with the council, they may provide the cover for traffic management.

I used to have my highways ticket when I worked for BT, in fact I still have all my gear, signs, cones,lights etc. Generally if it looks right you won't have a problem. Many years ago I had to close a lane on a main street in manchester (Oldham St),no highways tickets back then, I just spoke to the local police and they were fine, they sent someone round to look at the closure and that was it.

If you are doing any kind of work on the highway that may cause delays, even of a few minutes, you MUST inform the police. They in turn will inform the other emergency services so they are aware they may be held up if going to a shout. No matter if you have your ticket,or how well laid out the works are,if you delay the emergency services you'll end up with a butt kicking. They're pretty friendly, just inform them of the date of the works, the location  of the works and the approximate start and finish times, they may send someone to look at it they may not.

Incidentally check with the council, they may provide the cover for traffic management.

few years ago i was on a job changing a sign on the main road outside of regents park station. traffic management arrived at 11pm for our lane closure... only minor issue was because of the road layout and junctions, to get the correct start taper to the lane closure they would have close the lane approx 1 mile away and have 1 mile of cones... they also had nothing to close the footpath and divert it into the now closed lane 1... after some discussion, it was decided to just park their truck in lane 1, put a few cones to block lane 1 in front of them and get on with the job...

G39 - messing with strret lighting, apparently I need a ticket for that! Anyone know of an on-line course that will cover this? Would have thought AC status would be enough, all the lamp posts I've looked in have 2 cables and a cut-out fuse and ****** all else.