Horstmann Electronic 7 Not heating water on timer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alit22

Reaction score
Hi

We just moved into an apartment and have struggled to get the hot water working properly

It's a Horstmann Electronic 7 with a Tristor mains pressure thermal store.

I have been through the Horstmann manual and reset the timer etc.. From my understanding the heater comes on between 2am and 7am to heat the water. 

However each morning the water is still cold. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong?

I tried using the boost feature with the timer switched off and this works. However only giving us enough hot water for shower at a time per boost.. This isn't really practical as we need the hot water immediately in the morning and can't wait half an hour for the boost to heat water..

Any suggestions? Thanks 

Please could you explain how I'd do that? Sorry if this is a silly question. Never had my own place before and had to sort these things :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. 

I think I'll get someone to have a look at it. 

The cap over the bottom element part appears to be melted slightly and underneath some of the wires going slightly green :(  I have attached an image. 

That's probably the issue. 

Any ideas if this part is replaceable? And at what cost roughly?

Just moved into a new place, and slowly finding little issues like this unfortunately

20170702_161413_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thats dead and needs fixed. get it turned off, its capable of causing a fire if left on

hopefully the actual element is still OK so should be simply replace thermostat & flex

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

I didn't realise it was this bad until I took the cover off.. It's all off at the mains.

I'll get in touch with an electrician and try and get it sorted.