Replace old honeywell thermostat with hive 1

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sspil

Reaction score
Hello i am trying to figure out the wiring that i already have so i can wire the hive.

The H/W thermostat is connected with only two wires (N and L). I tried to connect N and L on hive, it works but doesnt switch the boiler on and off. I guess another wire is required.

Now in  the garage where the bioler is i can see two wires connected on room stat but i have now idea what they are doing. I also have a fuse box that goes to boiler but not sure if this in or out of the bioler or both! Is really confusing!

My boiler is a combi.

I am thinking to bridge the two wires of the current thermostat and install new cabled for hive but i am not sure. I have some photos that could help, but i dont know how to post them here.

Thanks for your help

This is exactly why you shouldn't randomly prod and poke about in things you clearly know nothing about electricity is dangerous and randomly making incorrect assumptions is not the way to make things work.

The wires in the stat are most likely live and switched live, not live and neutral.

Do yourself a favour and call someone in before you damage your boiler, stat or yourself (or someone else).

+1 to the above.

Assuming the hive needs a neutral as well,  the very least you will need to do is replace the 2 core cable with a 3 core and earth from the boilers wiring centre to the thermostat. That may be trivial or 2 days work taking up floor boards etc.

What will the hive do that the old thermostat won't? I still remain to be convinced what they do apart from relive you of a lot of money?

What will the hive do that the old thermostat won't? I still remain to be convinced what they do apart from relive you of a lot of money?

Mine (well, Drayton MiGenie, same thing but cheaper) allows me to turn the heating on before I get home, and also turn it off when I am away. Both are useful as my schedule means I can be away for days or hours, I never really know.

Even when I am at home and I'm sat in the office it is a chore to get up and go downstairs to turn the heating on so I can just do it from there.

I have had all this functionality for years via the alarm and other web enabled gadgets but the new smart stats just make it easier.

Mine (well, Drayton MiGenie, same thing but cheaper) allows me to turn the heating on before I get home, and also turn it off when I am away. Both are useful as my schedule means I can be away for days or hours, I never really know.

Even when I am at home and I'm sat in the office it is a chore to get up and go downstairs to turn the heating on so I can just do it from there.

I have had all this functionality for years via the alarm and other web enabled gadgets but the new smart stats just make it easier.
Yes, but unless I am miss reading the OP, this is the HOT WATER thermostat he is talking about not a room thermostat?  surely you don;t need to adjust the temperature of the hot water very often?

Yes, but unless I am miss reading the OP, this is the HOT WATER thermostat he is talking about not a room thermostat?  surely you don;t need to adjust the temperature of the hot water very often?
Yep, there is certainly something amiss with the OP

There shouldn't be a HW stat if its a combi, :C

Unless it is being used as a system, and then its simply on the CH side with a motorised valve,

Oh, well OP for some reason is using H/W as an abbreviation of Honeywell. I think that's what has confused you.

unless I am miss reading

Is that not @misssweden or has she been dethroned?