SWA AND SY BANJOS

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddha

Reaction score
Hello, I'm sitting my AM2 next week, and have a few questions,(and I'll probably have a few more later haha). Firstly, when making off swa and sy cables   , 1.Does the banjo need to be on the outside of the enclosure its being fitted to? 2. Does the nut and bolt have to be brass? 3. Does the the head of the bolt have to be on the inside of the enclosure? 4. Do you have to use the banjo and crimp an earth core to it even if the enclosure is metal, and even if you are using a core from the cable as earth?

Any help would be great, thanks in advance 

I have no idea of the requirements for AM2 so you can take what I say with a pinch of salt.

We always put banjo's externally, reason being it was easier to carry out a visual inspection, if you had to remove lids then it was a different level of inspection and a whole different level of permits required.

We always, well 95% of the time, used brass nuts, washers and machine screws, sometimes stainless steel was used.

Banjo's were linked together with the earth wire and a link was also put to the enclosure stud even if the box was metal.

Just to say again this was the practice where I worked and might be different from the AM2 standard, I know many people outside of where I worked use banjo's on the inside nowt wrong with it and also use Piranha nuts as well, horses for courses.

Good luck with your AM2 and hopefully someone will be along with what is expected on the AM2 

Not a clue about AM2, sorry.

My take on just two things.

If you are using GXD glands, no banjo required, none is supplied in the kit.

If you have a screwed on gland plate, unless the enclosure OEM states that it is a suitable earth path, then tail always needed to enclosure earth connection.

I have no idea of the requirements for AM2 so you can take what I say with a pinch of salt.

We always put banjo's externally, reason being it was easier to carry out a visual inspection, if you had to remove lids then it was a different level of inspection and a whole different level of permits required.

We always, well 95% of the time, used brass nuts, washers and machine screws, sometimes stainless steel was used.

Banjo's were linked together with the earth wire and a link was also put to the enclosure stud even if the box was metal.

Just to say again this was the practice where I worked and might be different from the AM2 standard, I know many people outside of where I worked use banjo's on the inside nowt wrong with it and also use Piranha nuts as well, horses for courses.

Good luck with your AM2 and hopefully someone will be along with what is expected on the AM2 
thanks roys

Not a clue about AM2, sorry.

My take on just two things.

If you are using GXD glands, no banjo required, none is supplied in the kit.

If you have a screwed on gland plate, unless the enclosure OEM states that it is a suitable earth path, then tail always needed to enclosure earth connection.
thanks sidewinder

Now it's been a while since I did mine so it's probably changed quite a bit.  

Put the banjo on the outside. Easier for the assessors to see.

I'm pretty sure that they have m6 brass bolts, washers and nuts.  Iirc bond the SWA to the tray it is on (if it's still run on it). I used a brass lock nut with the SY.  It has a small grub screw on it.  Bond it to the casing of what your glanding in to, again if it's still the same circuit design.

If you use the nut, use plenty of washers to make sure it actually gets tight.  They are used so much, the threads go and they won't clamp down properly.  That's a failure.  

Hope that helps and good luck with it.

Seán 👍