Should SWA cable enter the shed through the side or up through the shed floor?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gocsan

Reaction score
Hi all

I was wondering what are the best practices for running an SWA cable through a shed.

I haven't built the shed yet, but just planning the route of the existing SWA cable that I already have in my garden. I will be burying the SWA cable underground from my house to the shed. But where cable meets the shed, I'm not sure whether to have the cable run up vertically outside of the shed and then drill a hole on the side for it to go through, or whether I should run it under the ground up through the shed floor.

Any particular favour of one way over the other?

Many thanks

Best consult the spark you are going to get to test and sign off....................... I remember your recent thread

What an eco plastic grid?

eco-base-french-drain_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.jpg.0916792cee7615b56d446ecf5981dda4.jpg

Either/or, but through the floor if I had a choice. Ask they guy doing the connecting/testing but I cannot see any reason why he should have a problem with either method.

I'm with the floor brigade also, there's nothing worse than an armoured cable coming through a wall and then you have less then a foot of space to bend it upward to gland it into the box.If it had to come through the side I'd be bringing it in at low level, as well as being easier to work with it's also nicer to look at rather than a lump of cable cleated up the side.

With the sort of timbers used on a lot of modern sheds, taking a SWA through the side wall can end up splintering the panels, or loosen a few of the hair grip sized clips they use to fix them to the matchstick support battens. So if possible possible entry through floor level can give a more robust and better overall finish.

Doc H  

Eco as in not concrete. Seems to track OK, what would be an eco base then?

It's recyclable plastic :C

Concrete is bad for the environment because of the processes that go into making the stuff.

I've got one for my shed, it works well and was very quick to install!

:B

Last edited by a moderator:
If that grid stuff also has drainage through the bottom then the porous properties are better than concrete, admittedly the average shed doesn't have a very big foot print, but on a larger scale concrete and or block paving are less eco friendly toward drainage of surface water.

Doc H.