The future?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice cars... there's lots round here including one belonging to a local mayor, £80k+ I reckon. :eek:

The only problem is (as with all ev's) the battery packs cost a fortune to replace.

Tesla has gone out on a limb though, building the largest factory in the world, their powerwalls are impossible to get hold of so people make their own.

The worry is that they are way ahead of themselves and are heavily backed by hedges.

They are also backing up local grids where the area is remote and the power transmission isn't stable or to provide lower cost utilities to small communities.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/06/30/tesla-supply-grid-storage-housing-community-nottingham/

https://www.tesla.com/models

http://hackaday.com/2016/09/29/homebrew-powerwall-sitting-at-20kwh/

A bloke I know has just bought an electric car, maximum range is 80 miles on a full charge, what a waste of time. You couldn't even get to Blackpool and back on it, he reckons you just charge it up at the services, or when you get where you're going, trouble is, what if the charging points are all in use? Mind you I had to laugh, he's tighter than a duck's bum, and he thought he was going to save loads of money, what with no road tax, and the lower charging costs, anyway his insurance actually doubled, when he got it.

Apparently so I've been led to believe, there's a chance in an accident that the body can become live, so the highways agency won't go near one in an accident, they wait for the recovery people.

I have do idea what voltage these things run at, but I can't see them being safe if the body does go live. but then how could it? very strange.

Just thinking hypothetically here.....

But lets assume electric cars were an equivalent cost as a petrol or diesel car....

such that anybody and every body who could afford to buy a new or secondhand car, would be able to buy an electric car instead, if they so wished....

Now if a small family man+wife+one grown up child still living at home.... ALL have electric cars...

Would the average home supply be big enough to charge 3 or more cars overnight simultaneously?

OR what is the maximum amount of electric cars a single household could charge up?

I remember several years ago reading an article about the added demands electric cars in the same street would put onto the network during overnight charging....

Something like, 6 cars in the same street would be approx equal to an extra household load!

Guinness

Well, the connection points are 16A or 32A breakered according to the IET CoP, for domestic use, I just checked in the CoP, very briefly, so there may be other things involved.

So I suppose 3x16, 48A, about an all electric cooker on Xmas day, but, without the thermal cycling.

That's a fair whack of continuous current IMHO.

Especially as the DNO only tend to allow 40A per dwelling, and take the rest on diversity AFAIK.

Then 3 points would be no use to me, we currently have my van & 5 cars outside the house, tonight it will be 6 cars, so charging all of these would be impossible, and yes they all do live here, don't ask!

That would be a whacking great 96A!

IIRC we only have an 80A fuse in the cut out.

Mind, we all come home at different times, but if I am going out, then 4 leave the house within an hour of each other in the mornings.

Just as well i do not want one then!!

They actually sell these "Tesla" things in the Cribbs causeway shopping centre [yep, shops NOT "mall", we are not in America] near me. I have only seen one from ten yards away, but it looked ok. They had one without the body on it there for ages. I will have a look tonight and see if it is still there..

john..

There is 30+ cars on my street.

So  that's 960 amps plus the household usage of about 16 amps thats 1440 amps just for my street, you'd have to apply some diversity to that, say 1/3 that's 480 amps not including any fast chargers or HMO's.

I would suggest that the EV is flawed in the respect that the network despite recent upgrades couldn't cope with the true demand therefore the Tesla is just for those who can afford to say look at me, I'm considerably richer than you and I'm not killing polar bears.

Hydrogen fuel cells are the answer but until we are not governed by the will of large corporations its going to be a non starter.

@apprentice87

maxresdefault.jpg.032599fb812b420e41a389f4a1f15794.jpg

Expect a lot of spontaneously combusting sheds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Powerwall

Until someone makes a 4WD electric estate car that can tow 1.5 ton or more, they will never be of interest to me.  Might do as a second car perhaps, but never a main vehicle.

I said maybe
You're gonna be the one who saves me (money)
And after all
You're my Powerwall

18650 lithium ion cells, same as you get in most powertools, laptop batteries, EV's and powerwalls.

@apprentice87Some nutters have managed to build 20kWh + systems to charge their EV's. 

I vape, and always have a few on me (not loose in my pocket :lol: )

20170707_121423.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the connection points are 16A or 32A breakered according to the IET CoP, for domestic use, I just checked in the CoP, very briefly, so there may be other things involved.

So I suppose 3x16, 48A, about an all electric cooker on Xmas day, but, without the thermal cycling.

That's a fair whack of continuous current IMHO.

Especially as the DNO only tend to allow 40A per dwelling, and take the rest on diversity AFAIK.

Then 3 points would be no use to me, we currently have my van & 5 cars outside the house, tonight it will be 6 cars, so charging all of these would be impossible, and yes they all do live here, don't ask!

That would be a whacking great 96A!

IIRC we only have an 80A fuse in the cut out.

Mind, we all come home at different times, but if I am going out, then 4 leave the house within an hour of each other in the mornings.
"DAD, OUR SUSAN'S HOGGING THE CHARGING POINT AGAIN" at which point a violent domestic breaks out, who spends too much time in the shower, who drank all the milk, who's blocked who's car in! Ahh the joy's of being a parent.lol

"DAD, OUR SUSAN'S HOGGING THE CHARGING POINT AGAIN" at which point a violent domestic breaks out, who spends too much time in the shower, who drank all the milk, who's blocked who's car in! Ahh the joy's of being a parent.lol

Yeah not far off the truth that!

I wonder what the DNO’s will do to supply all these EV’s. Even a large house with electric heating and H/W is only allocated 3.4kW daytime, 12.5kW nighttime at the network design stage.

The LV infrastructure is already  running on a wing and a prayer, this latest fad will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Our generating capacity has been decimated by the eco-warriors, the French must be rubbing their hands with glee as we’ll be buying more energy from them.

An obvious answer is to adopt a higher tariff for the chargers. After all if you can afford the astronomic price of the car you can afford the energy.

Last edited by a moderator: