Does it comply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Coldwell

Reaction score
I have just been to see a friend who has rented a house, they asked my advice on using a 13a socket in a bedroom.  Prior to them moving in additional sockets were wired by a reputable local electrician, this particular socket has a label stuck to it saying 5a only.  On further inspection I saw that it has been wired from a room behind and connected into the lighting circuit using 1mm 3 core flex.  I am certain that this would not comply with the regs and would be interested to know other forums users views.

Is this an original socket that has been marked up or is it one of the new ones?

It isn't correct either way, but I'm sure we have all fitted sockets for TV amps and the like from 5A circuits. Bit different to using one in a general purpose location though.

At the end of the day, if it's off the lighting circuit then using more than 5A on it will blow a fuse/trip an MCB, so no real danger, just not correct.

Best advice, if it is connected to a lighting circuit would be to fit a 2A or 5A socket....

I can see why he didn't, so tenants can plug in an alarm clock/lamp (or vacuum cleaner, or 1kW heater) or whatever without changing the plug. Obviously there are some of those things you wouldn't want plugged in.

Latest posts