Positioning surface mounted 2 gang back box over existing recessed back box

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Smith

Reaction score
Hi,

I am after some advice based on experience of locating surface mounted back boxes directly over existing recessed ones. I am not an electrician, and this may be a no-go due to some regulation, though the challenge seems to me just to decide on the most suitable and safe fixing method (both structurally and electrically). Feel free to shoot me down, though if anyone has done this (for themselves or a client) would be grateful to hear your solution and approach. To add, this is purely a potential design option and for no other reason, so looking for the quickest and easiest solution. 

Possible options I have thought of:

1. Remove existing back box and fill in (leaving hole for wire - run in conduit).

2. Drill through existing back box and fix surface mounted box into the wall using longer screws

I guess both will depend on length of exsting wire to cope with increase legth to wire-in face plate.

Thanks, Matt

Buy converter back box made for the job.

If it's for a single to double socket conversion, buy converter double socket that fits a single back box (socket front is fatter than normal but less so that a socket and surface back box)

If you want to put a double surface box over a double recessed box...

buy a Ega type double moulded box ....these are more flexible

take a box screw

screw it into plastic box lug

persuade the threaded insert out with a knocking stick

repeat on other lug

use thes two holes to,fix socket/box assembly onto,existing backbox lugs

...just suggesting

If you are fitting a double over a single, 2 of the mounting holes should usually line up with the existing lugs on the recessed box, or get the proper conversion box.

If, as Prodave suggests, you want to change a single socket to a double, then buy a converter socket, less hassle, and looks neater,

Last edited by a moderator:
Cats are why curry was invented, ;)
Thanks Steps, I'd almost got over that one,

Many years ago I used to drive about 6 miles to a chinese chippy, it did great curry's and other foods and they weren't stingy with the meat. Well one day one of the lads opens the local rag (free paper), "ere, you seen this?" he asks, pointing to a big headline in the paper, "local takeaway closed after raid by environmental health".

It then went to describe in graphic detail how upon visiting the particular takeaway, the EHO had to his horror, discovered several dog and cat carcasses hung in a large fridge, they'd been sticking them in the food.

They actually named the shop and guess what? It was the one that I was so fond of visiting, it was ages before I could go near a chinese chippy after that.