VO and high grid voltages

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, I know we have discussed VO units before, but I have a customer who may benefit from one of these units. Basically his grid supply is running at 253V, Western Power have agreed to drop this by 2.5% after monitoring the grid for a week. The customer has single phase supply for his small swimmimg pool, he has air souce heat pump, heating for water and few other pumps running off the same supply. Apparently WPD found that his power surges are hitting just over 100Amps at certain times. I was considering fitting a 100Amp VO unit, suppossed to be good for pumps and energy savings, and to drop gird voltage down further, however if I drop the voltage, is this likely to mean the current drawn increases, increasing risk of blowing his main fuse? Your opinions please.

I think a buck / boost transformer may suit his needs. Have a look in knowledgebase for an idea of how they work.

Calculating the VA rating of the b/b transformer is weird. For a 5V drop @100A a 500VA transformer would suffice. BTW they ain’t small things.

They are used a lot by the septics due to their range of voltages. They also confuse the hell out of their electricians.

Should have bought inverter driven heat pumps to avoid the start up surge (like the air source heat pump I have just bought to heat my new house)