unbelievable!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
Reading in the paper this morning about how a hospital trust has been unable to recruit enough nurses, because, wait for it, the ones they wanted to bring in from the Phillippines failed an English language test!

Rachel Overfield, director of nursing at Walsall healthcare said,"they're capable of doing the job, but we can't bring them in because of the rules".

Apparently she's going to lobby for a rethink on the tests! Lets hope she never has to go into one of the hospitals if they are allowed to employ non English speaking staff.

How can anyone who doesn't speak,read,or write English be deemed suitable or fit to work in a British hospital?

In recent years I've had a lot of experience of hospitals, most of it bad, I saw 3 psychiatrists, all Indian and all with a very poor command of the English language, when I asked if I could see an English doctor I was initially accused of being racist!, then when I explained that  I could not understand these foreigners, I was told I could not see an English psychiatrist as there were non employed within our region!

Recently after much wrangling, a foreign nurse was sacked at a hospital, as she could neither speak nor read English, apparently as she was living abroad at the time of her application, her "interview" consisted of filling in some forms and sending them  to her prospective employer. She had gotten a friend to fill them in on her behalf, she arrived in the UK and worked for many months in the UK despite numerous complaints, as they were unsure how to get rid of her!

Now hold on a moment, speaking the language of the country you are going to work in should be a major requirement, she obviously lied to obtain the post, so isn't that gross misconduct?

I find it very worrying that somebody should want to change the entry requirements, rather than make sure people can actually speak our language.At a time of illness, you have enough on your plate worrying about your health, without worrying about how to make yourself understood.Still maybe if they are allowed to bring in these non English speaking nurses, then the inevitable deaths that will result, will help meet some government target somewhere, regarding the best way to reduce the population, what's next, gas chambers?

Perhaps Rachel Overandout should be used in a fire rescue simulation where every emergency service that arrives is non English speaking? It may help her reconsider her competence. 

Perhaps Rachel Overandout should be used in a fire rescue simulation where every emergency service that arrives is non English speaking? It may help her reconsider her competence. 
exactly, you can bet she's never been near an NHS hospital as a customer.

Where the misses worked they recruited from EE then found their methods, and skills way below UK standards. So they needed 1 on 1 supervision until they left.....

Where the misses worked they recruited from EE then found their methods, and skills way below UK standards. So they needed 1 on 1 supervision until they left.....
Exactly, so how's that going to save money?

I don't think somebody's thought this one through have they?

When the misses trained as a midwife over 20 years ago, jobs at the end of training were extremely hard to find..... Then, since about 2003 the birth rate has shot up, with over 25% being foreign, then a lack of recruitment compounds the issues.... And the shortage of schools and teachers and doctors and nurses, and houses follows..... 

Most of of this is due to the population growth and the lack of investment in trading etc by governments of all colours.......since the mid 1970's

When the misses trained as a midwife over 20 years ago, jobs at the end of training were extremely hard to find..... Then, since about 2003 the birth rate has shot up, with over 25% being foreign, then a lack of recruitment compounds the issues.... And the shortage of schools and teachers and doctors and nurses, and houses follows..... 

Most of of this is due to the population growth and the lack of investment in trading etc by governments of all colours.......since the mid 1970's
Makes you wonder if this recruitment of foreign staff is designed to pander to those migrants who have no intention of learning English, yet chose to call our country "home".

Incidentally, here's one you may like, recently my wife was dealing with an appointment for a lady with a foreign sounding name, however when she ran the lady's NHS number in the computer it came back as belonging to a male!

She did some digging, and, it transpired that she'd only come to the UK recently, married a British man, and, as she wasn't entitled to treatment on the NHS, he had come up with the idea of putting his NHS number on the paperwork.

You only get an NHS number if you are entitled to free treatment, as a foreigner who had only lived here a short time she was not entitled to the treatment she wanted for free.If my wife had not performed the required checks, then she'd have received many thousands of pounds worth of treatment to which she was not entitled. If it was up to me I would have had them both prosecuted for fraud and deception.

The days of the NHS being free for all are long past

i would charge for missing appointments for a start
You're not wrong there, as you know the wife does the appointments at our local hospital, and there's not one clinic that gets full attendance, some even fail to turn up, claiming they "forgot" they had an appointment, even though the wife has phoned them the day before to remind them.

The thing is are you still going to charge them £20 if they are an in-patient at another hospital because they were taken ill during the night, or had an accident on the way there & were taken to the nearest A&E?

^^ yes, but we are talking about missed appointments..,,so you senario doesn't really apply
Yes it does, what if I have an out patients appointment, and am taken ill or injured the night before, in the morning, or even on the way to the appointment, thus I miss the appointment?

Sorry but until the NHS get their act together there will always be missed appointments, take my example, had been to hospital told I shall need a ct scan so wait for the appointment. Well waited several weeks and then a letter arrives asking if I wanted to rebook as I had missed my appointment??? A call to the hospital and it transpires that the department that sends the appointments out had my old address and had been sending letters there, however the department that asked for the scan had my current address? When I asked ' what's the point in the hospital asking if they can share my information with other medical professionals when they can't even share my address within the one hospital' the answer came ' if you haven't received an appointment in the next two weeks then call back and I'll chase it up for you' !!!

why not utilise the super computer system that's cost a stinking fortune to update and share information or is that asking too much? 

@Sidewinder

But if everything worked then they'd know you were in the system.

I also think people should pay for A&E visits that were not an emergency.

@Sharpend

I had the same thing the last time I had to visit A&E my address was where I grew up, I left home 17 years ago! It appears different trusts don't share information or operating systems or anything.?

That was £10bn well spent!

:facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts