Wiring up extraction unit - switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouk

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to buy a mechanical extraction ventilation unit. I don't have it yet, otherwise I could have had a play with it and possibly worked some of this out for myself. But also want the answers before I buy! I;ve tried ringing technical support but at the moment not be able to speak to someone.

The Xpelair Xplus 2 is what I want.

https://www.xpelair.co.uk/product/92430AW/XPLUS_2_AC-Xplus-2-Multi-Point-Ventilation-Unit?s=/catalogue/domestic-and-light-commercial/mechanical-extract-ventilation/xplus-2/

You can view the manual at this link (need to download it)

http://www.filedropper.com/xplus2-ecinstructionmanual1

I am trying to work out whether I need to buy their own brand switch which costs £70  or whether I can use an off the shelf switch.

I am quite happy to set the speed of the unit itself and not bother with a switch.

But based on the manual - do I actually need a switch?

If so where the diagram shows the switch setup with any switch do as long as it has enough buttons? 

They show a 3 position switch - which is the dial with 3 positions but could I make the same with say a 3 button light switch or something?

None of those links work but it is pretty clear in the instructions how it is wired and how it works.

I've spoken to tech support and was told I don't need the switch but even if I wanted one I don't need the official one so I may see if I can get a cheap switch from the local electrical shop.

You need to understand the requirements where it is being installed (is it domestic or commercial)

Normally it runs all the time on trickle (slow speed) mode, and you would switch it to a faster speed when someone is having a shower.  If you know you will only ever use say slow and high speed, then a simple 2 way switch would do, even a humble light switch. You only need a "special" switch of you need 3 positions so you can select any of the 3 available speeds.

P.S here's the link to the manual. https://www.xpelair.co.uk/assets/pid_data/downloads/Xpelair_XPlus2AC_instructionmanual.pdf

You only need a "special" switch of you need 3 positions so you can select any of the 3 available speeds.

If you read the manual you will see you don't need a special 3 position switch, you can just use a 2 gang switch for trickle/boost and med/high.

Don't know why people need to ring tech support all the time, it is plain as day in the manual how it works and where the wires go.

If you read the manual you will see you don't need a special 3 position switch, you can just use a 2 gang switch for trickle/boost and med/high.

Don't know why people need to ring tech support all the time, it is plain as day in the manual how it works and where the wires go.
quite,using a 2 gang, take live into common of one switch, take L1 to L1 on fan, take L2 to common on second switch, then on second switch take L1 to L2 on fan, and L2 to L3 on fan, there'd be no  "off" position, but it would prevent somebody sending power to L1 and either L2 or L3 at the same time.

quite,using a 2 gang, take live into common of one switch, take L1 to L1 on fan, take L2 to common on second switch, then on second switch take L1 to L2 on fan, and L2 to L3 on fan, there'd be no  "off" position, but it would prevent somebody sending power to L1 and either L2 or L3 at the same time.

That would only give you 2 speeds out of 3 though. Totally not what the manual says at all.

The trouble with the 2 switch solution, while it would work, 99.9% of people would not understand it.  A bit like using 2 switches with a PIR light, one for on off, one for override of the sensor. I have not yet met a customer that can actually understand how that works.

I would just have 2 positions, I really can't think why you would need 3.  My own MVHR unit can operate at 4 different speeds, but it will only be wired for two, normal and boost. I just need to measure the airflow in due course to determine which of the speeds to use for normal and boost.

I now have the manual and I have bought an MK Grid 3 way switch

Any tips on how to wire it up?

WP_20170725_20_31_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20170725_20_30_51_Pro.jpg

ello guys im a newbie to electrics but my boss has bought 5 of these units for a development of flats were doing. each flat has a master bathroom and bedroom ensuites. he thinks that each fan can be controlled independently when you turn the lights on in any of the bathrooms/ensuites.... is this the case or can all fans only be activated/triggered by 1 switch in eg... master bathroom. if they can be activated independently whats the best way of doing so????? thanks for your time. andy

If it's one central ventilation unit, then no there is just one fan and you can't have individual units on or off.

The principle is they run constantly at a very low speed so should be silent, but can be boosted to a faster speed e.g. when  you have a shower.

thanks for your rapid response. i will post the model number tommorrow but thats exactly what i thought. even the manual mentioned nothing regarding "zone control" as i understand you can have some type of toggle/3 way switch to control the boost etc.... he believes that what ever bathroom or ensuite your in youll be able to independly activate the extraction fan once turning on the lights in whatever room.... thanks again. il post up the exact model number. thanks

You ca do some clever things, but it will be all rooms or nothing.

In my own house I have two Horstman immersion heater timer boost switches, and a couple of relays.  The upstairs one by the bathrooms boosts it to maximum speed while showering.  The downstairs one boosts it to a mid range speed when cooking.  

The rest of the time it runs at it's slowest speed completely inaudible.

thanks for your replies. yes murdoch i want to independently activate the fan from either the master bathroom or ensuite bathrooms. thanks again matey

heres the model number and product info...

xpelair multivent x+2 92430aw (pf) blue