Its not Logical , Jim.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think my logic doesn't match that of Mr Spock. 

Example 1.    

We have some DVDs  where the opening screen says ...Subtitles On .  So I click on that because I don't want them ...and I find I have subtitles .

Now to me that statement means ...The subtitles are ON  when in fact it means they are OFF  ....but to them its an invitation to switch them ON ..where in my head I'm looking for the word... OFF !!

Example 2.

Npower have emailed me three times this month saying .....Please send in your meter reading by the 27th July.... just opened yet another .  " If you han't already sent in your meter reading please do it by the 27th July ".     To me that means send in reading on the 27th July. 

I have just emailed back to say please leave me alone ,  when that great day cometh I will send in my meter reading , accompanied by Seraphins & Cherubins blowing upon their great astral trumpets and lo  I shall deliver them myself , carved upon stone tablets , one tablet for each number and may the mark of the Beast be upon you all.

Npower have emailed me three times this month saying .....Please send in your meter reading by the 27th July.... just opened yet another .  " If you han't already sent in your meter reading please do it by the 27th July ".     To me that means send in reading on the 27th July. 

My stance on that is "it's your meter, you read it". I've probably read mine 3 or 4 times in 5 or so years.

Local council charging for garden waste collections and bulky waste collections.

Surely it will cost them more in clearing up the fly tipping?

And while we are on the subject of idiot councils http://www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/protesters-converge-on-wood-green-as-council-agrees-2bn-sell-off-1-5091949

😲
Mine have recently started doing this, It's ONLY £35 a year! they don't collect between November and March,it's a fortnightly collection, and it states that they may not collect, "due to a shortage of vehicles, staff, or adverse weather conditions, please note this is not a total list of exclusions".

So they won't collect when the leaves are falling off the trees, they won't collect in bad weather, and they won't collect if they are short of either staff or vehicles! so exactly when are they going to collect? Oh and to cap it all, if they find any garden waste in your general bin, guess what? that won't be getting emptied either!

Needless to say I haven't took them up on their bargain offer, my mate has gone one better, since he lives in a council house, when the large tree in the back garden sheds it's leaves, he's going to ring the council and tell them that, their tree has dumped leaves all over their garden, and they need to come and clean it up!

Sometimes I think my logic doesn't match that of Mr Spock. 

Example 1.    

We have some DVDs  where the opening screen says ...Subtitles On .  So I click on that because I don't want them ...and I find I have subtitles .

Now to me that statement means ...The subtitles are ON  when in fact it means they are OFF  ....but to them its an invitation to switch them ON ..where in my head I'm looking for the word... OFF !!

Example 2.

I have just emailed back to say please leave me alone ,  when that great day cometh I will send in my meter reading , accompanied by Seraphins & Cherubins blowing upon their great astral trumpets and lo  I shall deliver them myself , carved upon stone tablets , one tablet for each number and may the mark of the Beast be upon you all.
Example one, I agree with you, it's a bit like downloading software these days, in days of yore you had to tick the boxes to download all the carp that came with it, now you have to put a tick in the box NOT to download the other junk!

Example 2, no, that's always been a standard thing afik, it means send it in no later than, most things are like that, the one that can catch you out like that is paying a bill, they used to say payable by e.g 27th July, but now a lot of them word it as "should be paid no later than 27th July" it's all a pain, bit like switches that are up for on and down for off, incidentally I wonder if we can get rid of them when we leave the EU? I understand the reasoning behind them, it cannot accidentally be knocked into the "on" position, but I still don't like them.

NAw!  They just estimate it ....always on the generous side of course.

Well, when I moved in I submitted a few readings when the house was bareish. Now that there is a cabinet full of computers and an AV rack of sorts their over-estimations are about on point. Last time I checked the gas was over by about £200 and something and the electric was under by about the same, or vice versa. Either way it works out OK now. :)

bit like switches that are up for on and down for off

Don't know if it bothers everyone but...... MK grid switches with "Em Ltg" at the top, and "Test" at the bottom. Had loads of arguments that the down position is not for "Test" but purely because the switch is too small to fit "Em ltg Test" in a line. I always make sure the down position is to charge the fitting. Maybe I'm just pedantic. 

Oh and to cap it all, if they find any garden waste in your general bin, guess what? that won't be getting emptied either!

complete opposite here. they want £30 to empty the garden waste bins every 4 weeks for a few month of the year, however they have also said (quietly) that garden waste can go in the bin with normal waste...

We’ve just had a notice from the council delivered by a CPSO about bins left on the pavement for longer than necessary. It carries a £60 fine if you do.

The council collect our bins from the storage area, empty them and then dump them on the pavement.

The house consists of three flats and therefore three different users of the waste collection service.

Who pays the fine?

I know one thing, I'm not paying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bins !!!! Bins   !!   Don't talk to me about bins !   

The same applies to us ,  musn't leave them out longer than necessary .  Well the roads are full of Daleks , have been for two weeks , because the binmen are on a work to rule ......which apparently means they don'ty collect bins anymore .

The city  website says leave them out as we don't know when they will be collected. 

Bins !!!! Bins   !!   Don't talk to me about bins !   

The same applies to us ,  musn't leave them out longer than necessary .  Well the roads are full of Daleks , have been for two weeks , because the binmen are on a work to rule ......which apparently means they don'ty collect bins anymore .

The city  website says leave them out as we don't know when they will be collected. 
They do that around here too, and the recycling boxes/bags, what worries me is the fool next door dumps about 40 vodka bottles a week, now if some numpty takes one out of his recycling box and lobs it through my car window, who is liable? Is it him for leaving the box on the kerb, or the council for not collecting it on the appointed day?

Don't know if it bothers everyone but...... MK grid switches with "Em Ltg" at the top, and "Test" at the bottom. Had loads of arguments that the down position is not for "Test" but purely because the switch is too small to fit "Em ltg Test" in a line. I always make sure the down position is to charge the fitting. Maybe I'm just pedantic. 

I always do the same.

Just been on a job where they have all these MK fan isolators with padlock things on them. All the switches are upside down. Totally not cool, going to be writing a strongly worded letter to my MP about it.

My concern is what are they going to do next? 

I looked at some outdated figures that suggest there are 267,400 (2014) homes in my borough, say 50% don't qualify... that's still £11 million pounds to collect plant waste that can be made into compost and sold.

I don't get it, the greedy idiots just cant help themselves. 

What's next ??? 10p meters in streetlights??

So shortsighted.

it's not being greedy Duck, it's a measure of the level of underfunding by central government to local councils.........

A Cornish Council worked out the cost of clearing increased fly-tipping was far less than the expected increase in revenue, but you have to wonder if they factored in tipping dangerous waste, like asbestos, and old engine oil and the damage to our environment, plus personally, I hate seeing rubbish strewn all over the place.

I'm not sure about this but I think local councils are not allowed to make a profit , so the garden waste makes compost for the city's parks etc .

To my mind it should also be sold , at a profit , and the money can subsidise the Council tax .