I hate writing introductions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimNo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Jim. I've been messing about with electronics since i was in infant school when they had those sets you could put together to make bulbs light up. Then it progressed into train sets and trying to replicate the back to the future lighting bolt thing with a Hornby train. (It didn't shoot off the train track in a ball of flames) Later on i started fitting car radios which then progressed into sirens and lightbars. Now i restore lightbars. I would say i've got a good understanding of electrics. Though I still learn something new everyday.

Welcome to the forum, when I first glanced at the title of this thread I though it said "I hate wiring instructions". I was expecting a moan about connecting up an appliance that a customer had bought cheap off E-bay from China.

Doc H 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Sir.

This is to introduce, Phil, he has worked for us for a number of years and we have always found him to be prompt and punctual he carries out his work to a very good standard, and is very knowledgeable. He is able to turn his hand to most things and can be a real asset. However he's inclined to be short tempered with fools, hates Mondays, and can be quite grumpy, if he starts to growl then leave him alone, best suited to being given a task and left to get on with it, works better without supervision.

Now that's an introduction, ok I'll be truthful, it's basically what one of my old bosses wrote about me in a review, I must admit I had to admire his honesty. ROTFWL

Welcome to the forum, when I first glanced at the title of this thread I though it said "I hate wiring instructions". I was expecting a moan about connecting up an appliance that a customer had bought cheap off E-bay from China.

Doc H 

I actually like wiring instructions. The thing is hate really is AWG  (American Wire Gauge) As most of the wiring instructions i look at say use such and such AWG. I'm used to buying cable that can handle so many amps.

I'm used to buying cable that can handle so many amps.

thats no use. the same size cable can have a max of varying amps. 2.5 T&E for example. its max current is anything between 13.5 & 27 amps by table 4D5. 1.5 T&E is anything between 10 & 20 amps. and then you have volt drop to consider, the longer the cable, the bigger it needs to be. you can easily have a 10a circuit wired in 25mm or larger. you also need to consider Zs to make sure that the OCPD will trip within the required times if there is a fault.... and thats just some of the basics to consider... so no, buying cable by how many amps it can handle will not get you very far at all...

didnt know vehicle wiring was different and is simply rated by its amps. maybe we should start using that for fixed wiring since its not affected by the usual laws of physics that affects everywhere else