Mains fire system fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacquiB

Reaction score
Hi

for unknown reasons a tenant in the flat below me won't clean (or allow to be cleaned) her in-flat smoke detectors.

the main panel of the system in the hall is now bleeping constantly- but I've read we can't be certain what's the fault until we're sure all detectors are dust free.

is there a way to isolate her flat from the system so we can stop the bleeping?

(don't worry - I'm not thinking of doing it myself - but didn't want to pay a call out fee if it's not possible... I'd also thought I'd give her some localised sensors if she were isolated from the system... I'm just being driven crazy by the noise!)

It's more annoying than that- three flats - I'm the only one owner occupied- the other two landladies are doing nothing.

One can't get her tenant to comply, the other doesn't seem concerned that her tenants are unprotected. I suspect from what you've said I need to get the council or fire brigade in to get things moving- but suspect that will net each of the others a £5k fine - which won't make me popular... but at least not criminal lol 

Look at it like this; The other two could not care a lettuced about you, so why worry about them.. If is were me, i would ask the fire brigade where to go as a first move.. If the other two flats are rented to people on housing benefit, tell the council.. I think you might find that after recent fires in london that the council people will have had their minds focused a little bit shall we say..

john..

If I was the landlord and my tenant would not allow access for essential repairs, they would be getting their 2 months notice to quit.  If they would not let me in for that, I would be worried what they were hiding.

I agree, as Dave said..

I do not think a landlord should be able to come and go as they please, after all, would you think it reasonable for someone from the building society to come round and let themselves in whenever they liked?? BUT, this is for essential repairs. Either they agree or get evicted.

Why would they NOT want to let you in?? Hiding something as Dave said..

john..

Thanks, both - I think I'm en route to resolving this after a day of negotiation!

Appreciate you taking the time to help. 

J