Light fitting with no earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve4939

Reaction score
I've just about to replace a standard light pendant with a new (fancier and metal one) and noticed that the new fitting has no earth connector. I think it doesn't need one as the Live and Neutral wires are double insulated (within rubber sleeves and in a plastic connector box). If that's the case do I just tape up the earth wire and leave it in the ceiling ?

This is probably a daft question but I want to make sure I do the right thing !

class_2_symbol.gif.0111a09dfec206dcb5ca8581f4ac491d.gif

.75 2 core flex is usally what i use with the class II connectors,they are really small. And  a bit 💩

seems to be many lights lately that are metal but DI and have no earth connection, yet they have a stupid terminal & cover design that can only hold a single flex...

the earth will need terminated into a terminal block or similar

Light fittings in general pee me off!

why are they designed to NOT accept cables OR to be fitted?

never fit DIALL, Colours, or any B&Q fitting made of chrome plated cheese and glass

SAXBY?,,,,,,,BiL bought some Saxby Stainless outside wall lights. The internal connection box was LARGER than the recess in the back of the fitting. impossible to fasten back to wall unless you removed half a brick

Light fittings in general pee me off!

why are they designed to NOT accept cables OR to be fitted?

never fit DIALL, Colours, or any B&Q fitting made of chrome plated cheese and glass

SAXBY?,,,,,,,BiL bought some Saxby Stainless outside wall lights. The internal connection box was LARGER than the recess in the back of the fitting. impossible to fasten back to wall unless you removed half a brick
I went to hang two chandelier type lights bought from Next, it was for a mate's daughter.  They were horrendous, it took two and a half hours to hang them along with an oddball fitting for the bathroom bought from IKEA.

What you DON'T do .... is cut the earth cable off the cable coming out of the ceiling.....
Or even worse, the one I've seen on two occasions, light fitting comes with a 3 way block connector, you remove the ceiling rose and have 3 reds together, 2 blacks together, 1 black, sleeved red, and 3 earths, so it's the 2 blacks to the blue on the fitting, the sleeved black to the brown on the fitting, Hmm, not enough terminals, I know, I'll leave the earths twisted together and take the 3 reds and push them into the terminal marked E, that's got to be safer than just twisting them and wrapping in tape!