I cannot work it out?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notnamedfred

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Last year we had some major renovation work done which included solar PV. We had an opportunity to go all electric using undertap heaters and a combination of underfloor and electric boiler heating. Nothing over the winter and spring could be considered the norm because of the build, I am now starting to look to make sure everything is working has I expected them too: so far I am very pleased. Looking at the readings from the smart metre at present it is costing ave £1.50/day (includes dishwasher and washing machine, ave £2 with spa heater on) over July but I have noticed a discrepancy of sorts.
I have a 4.xx kw split into 2sections, one SW the other SE, they both join into a single counter and then into the system. On bright direct sunny days the ave per day is £1.50/2.00 but on bright over cast days the ave is 90p to £1.30, hence the, I cannot work it out?
Could it be that the converter is too small?

Ok, the term is inverter. What do you have, panels and inverter wise?

What you might be seeing is heat saturation of the panels, given gloriuos hot sunny weather, performace can fall. What would be more help is power output figures in kW - your inverter should be able to display this.

1 other question, is your smart metercapable of reading export to the grid (it should be)?

Hi thanks for taking the time.

silvantis R-Series

4 x 340 Sun Edison (SW)

8 x 340 Sun Edison (SE)

v-oc [stc] 46.4

isc [stc] 9.29

wiring type pfv-01, phase [mm2] 4, earth N/A

V oc [V] 186 & 328

l sc [A] 1.5 & 3

irradiance 471

Test voltage 250

+ve earth 200+

-ve earth 200+

inverter imars MG4kTL-2M

never heard of that inverter, I avoid Chinese products, seen to many fail! SunEdison have been around a while though it's a panel I have never used. The inverter seems more than adequate to take the voltages from the panels, especially as a split array, so I suspect heat sauturation is the issue you are seeing. I would recommend you buy one of these displays, it will really help you understand how your solar system is performing. https://www.geotogether.com/consumer/product-category/solar-monitoring/

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it. our panels are for our bright days but when it is direct sunlight (Spanish style)heat builds resistance builds up and produces a sag or in clear English a voltage drop and hence why I am seeing a slight cost increase on direct sunny days. Thank you. I cannot however see the need for monitoring machines, being awear of usage would do the same and therefore increase the none profitable time, At present my pay back is 3.5 to 4 years £75 would just increase this, more money for the man and less for me.

Again thank you Binky you have settled my mind

the GEO just helps with self use, especially if your inverter is not in an accessible place like the loft. Best weather for solar is those cold, but very clear, spring and autumn days. Wetish summers help to, the rain keeps the panels clean, and knocks the dust out of the air. Overcast winters like the one we just had really knock system back - had a few customers asking if their systems were working properly.