Wiring a 3 terminal light from ceiling rose wires.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny21

Reaction score
Hi Guys, 

Biting my nails and have a massive head ache, 

So my Mrs decided to purchase some lights, fitting is 3 terminal block, L, N, E,

There is a 3 way switch near the light, one powers upstairs hallway, one powers down stairs hallway & other powers Bathroom. There is also an extractor fan in the bathroom which is working on a separate switch that somehow connects to the lighting, that is also live and working how it should. 

I have a problem, bathroom light works on the switch, downstairs hallway light is permently staying on even with the switch in the off position. 

All wires are connected into the 3 terminal block accept 1 of them, 1 of which is a brown. 

In the ceiling rose, I have 1 switch wire, 3 browns, 3 earth's & 3 neutruls

I must be close to succeeding surely? Lol 

I hope and pray you can help me :)

Thanks 

did you take a photo / note of the existing connections before you mixed them up and started connecting them where you think they should have gone, but dont really go?

did you take a photo / note of the existing connections before you mixed them up and started connecting them where you think they should have gone, but dont really go?

Would it not be fair to say that if he had taken a picture / made a sketch he would not be asking on here, after all its an electricians forum so it must be known what wire goes where  :slap

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Danny21 It does not work how you think. There is no "standard colour code" to wire lighting circuits, its up to the individual which colour does what. A picture would be nice, but as you have not made 10 posts you can't add a picture (Its an anti spam thing)

I can only suggest you post exactly what it is you have done, and maybe just may be we can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put all browns to live, all nuatrul to nuatrul and earth's to earth's, I done the common mistake. 

Everything works accept the hallway light stays on permantly, the bathroom light works on the switch and the extractor fan is now working on the separate switch 

There is one brown wire left to connect up, which I have left unconnected just incase it needs to be connected somewhere else? 

There is 2 lights on a 3 way switch downstairs hallway & downstairs toilet, one of the switches powers upstairs landing. 

There is also an extractor fan in the downstairs toilet which is working and also the toilet light is working by the switch. 

Its just the downstairs hallway is stuck on permenant and doesn't turn on or off by the switch :(

black (brown) may be the perm live and not SL. you need to start looking in switches / lights and tracing what cable goes where and which conductor goes where

Are you SURE you didn't do anything else that you are not telling us? e.g did you at any point do anything that tripped the circuit breaker, i.e tried different connections and one try the breaker tripped?

I am thinking it's hard to imagine a situation where getting the wiring wrong at one light fitting would make another light stay on. I wonder if you did something wrong that caused a short via the light switch, and the switch is now welded in the on position?

Problem solved guys, 

I have put a 4 terminal block in, black with brown sleeve (switch) in live terminal 1, looped browns in terminal 2, neautrul blues in terminal 3, yellow & green earth's in terminal 4. 

Connect live from light pendant to terminal 1.. terminal 2 left blank, terminal 3 neautrul to neutruls, terminal 4 earth to earth, 

Now works like a beauty 😆

Thanks for your time though chaps 👌

so you failed to notice when taking down the original lights that there were 4 separate connections then you rammed them into 3 on the new light and were surprised when it didnt work?

i really hope that 'terminal 2' isnt the one in the middle that is usually connected to the metallic part of the light which will now be live (which you wont be if you touch it)

That's right, but considering its my first attempt with loop wires it's not a bad go having no knowledge about it with loops at all. 😆

It won't be live to anywhere, it's blanked off. Its in a connection block 👍

little knowledge is dangerous. if the terminal block you have used for the lives is just for them then thats fine, nothing wrong with that. however, i did say what i said earlier because ive seen many lights put up by DIYers who have then phoned me because they are getting a shock from touching the light...