Will these items work together?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunil237

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not a sparky, and will be getting my work done by my builder (ex-sparky).

I'm planning my house remodel and buying supplies.

My idea is to have 2 inline extractor fans and a set of pendant lights wired to a remote switch.

here are all the items i'm considering using;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RF-Wireless-Remote-Control-1-2-3-4-Channel-Power-Switch-Light-220V-2-Transceiver/272535574366?_trksid=p5713.c100284.m3505&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D11%26asc%3D20140905073823%26meid%3D7da523695c534ee4a17953ba186a37d3%26pid%3D100284%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D11%26sd%3D272535574366

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bathroom-Fans/Blauberg-UK-TURBO-150-Turbo-Mixed-Flow-Extractor/B01LYEJXO9/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1501441609&sr=8-5&keywords=blauberg+inline

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Bathroom-Fans/Blauberg-UK-TURBO-150-Turbo-Mixed-Flow-Extractor/B01M0OL27H/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1501441609&sr=8-5&keywords=blauberg%2Binline&th=1

3x the following

http://www.lights2go.co.uk/pendant-lights-c8/searchlight-2301-duo-single-chrome-pendant-p131

Ideally I would have the following set up;

lights connected to the remote switch, and also a manual switch on the wall

the extractors connected to the remote switch and also a double switch on the wall

If I have to I can live with the remote switch being the only switch, I would keep the box accessible if needed.

Please let me know if these things are possible

Everything is possible,

But, having a builder that is an "ex-sparky" doesn't sound like a very good idea at all, I would take his claim with a bucket of salt.

A proper electrician will be able to connect it up the way you want, and know what materials are required.

Thanks mate, glad to know it will work.

The builder has done a lot of work for my family and is very honest, he's going to do the first fix then I'll get a certified electrician to do the rest including the consumer unit. Thanks for the concern though.

The builder has done a lot of work for my family and is very honest, he's going to do the first fix then I'll get a certified electrician to do the rest including the consumer unit. Thanks for the concern though.
BTW

I havent looked at what you are intending buying,

As I said in post #2

A proper electrician will be able to connect it up the way you want, and know what materials are required.

he's going to do the first fix then I'll get a certified electrician to do the rest including the consumer unit.

:slap

good luck getting that signed off correctly

and anyone else read this

'by my builder (ex-sparky)'

as 'by my builder who failed as a sparky'

Last edited by a moderator:

I would tell you to go forth and multiply unless involved from the start - too much legal liability. A local electricam died last week, electricity is DANGEROUS and not to be messed with  by the untrained.

Out of interest what makes you think you need 2 fans?

I read the description before I bought these fans and it said they could only be wired at a fixed speed. So bought two, a high extraction one at half the extraction rate.

I read through the manual and they can be wired to alternate between high and low speed through a switch. So will most likely only install one, once I make sure I'm right.

So it will have to have an on/off switch and a speed high/low switch too.

I'll post a picture of the wiring diagram tomorrow. 

I get the feeling people here don't like non electricians doing electricians. Please know the last certified electrician I encountered put a loosly wired junction box under a water outlet, rewired a live switch because be couldn't be bothered to be safe, left the house without turning on the kitchen sockets, left the garage completely disconnected (no need to work on it), forgot to connect the outdoor socket.. all on a kitchen extension.

Just because you passed some tests doesn't mean you're a good or safe electrician. I do understand the concerns but each case is different and Im fine with my choice.

I read the description before I bought these fans and it said they could only be wired at a fixed speed. So bought two, a high extraction one at half the extraction rate.

I read through the manual and they can be wired to alternate between high and low speed through a switch. So will most likely only install one, once I make sure I'm right.

So it will have to have an on/off switch and a speed high/low switch too.

I'll post a picture of the wiring diagram tomorrow. 

I get the feeling people here don't like non electricians doing electricians. Please know the last certified electrician I encountered put a loosly wired junction box under a water outlet, rewired a live switch because be couldn't be bothered to be safe, left the house without turning on the kitchen sockets, left the garage completely disconnected (no need to work on it), forgot to connect the outdoor socket.. all on a kitchen extension.

Just because you passed some tests doesn't mean you're a good or safe electrician. I do understand the concerns but each case is different and Im fine with my choice.
Exactly,

Just because you passed some tests doesn't make you an electrician,

And it sounds very like that's the sort of person you had before.

Not an electrician.

It takes a few years of an apprenticeship and a lot of years of experience.

Do you think your builder has either,?

Good luck with that...........

Good luck with that...........
Aww, come on Murdoch,the electrician may be certified, in which case he'd probably be quite happy to sign the job off, after all there's more than one meaning of the word certified.lol

I get the feeling people here don't like non electricians doing electricians.

Yep, that is very true, but with good reason. Worst electrics I have encountered were by a member of the Institute of Electrical Engineering. I myself as an Electrical / Mechanical trained apprentice thought I knew how to do electrics, until I retrained......