television...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, my other half watches hours of television on MY computer on some thing called "iplayer" [I think...]

I should point out that i do not have a television, and do not want one, and therefore do not have a television licence and know nothing about this sort of thing.

1, Will they [the telly licence people] come and blame me as all this telly watching will be linked to my IP address??

2, if she watches it on her own laptop, [but on my internet "wifi"] does this mean she has an IP address of her own, so she gets in the ****, or will it still be me??

3, is it possible to block access to these type of sites??

Thanks all.

john..

1 dont think they can trace ip unless she has given them permission

2 still your external ip

3 yes, or simply use IPvanish if your BB is fast enough, you will lose about 15-20 speed

if she doesnt watch LIVE broadcast TV then she is fine,

if she watches it as it is braodcast live then the householder requires a licence.

I'm waiting for them to turn up at mine when Im watching motogpHD from a spanish provider and will simply ask them what channel was I watching?

SWMBO only watches catch up on internet, and as yet doesnt require a licence, so there is no way Im buying a licence to watch non UK channels.

Basically you are in deep ****, TV licence is a criminal offence, you, you orther half, the dog and goldfish will go to jail.

Suggest:

1. Disable wifi broadcast SSID from router

2. Change your laptop password to djwcncwiqc284

3. Dont tell other half password

4. Put a note on the door saying "Dear Mr TV man, it was the other half that did it"

5. Dont use iplayer

6. GET A TV LICENCE !!!!!!!!!!! LOL

OH

get some CCTV

even dummies

apparently the inspectors dont like cctv as they may be open to reprisals once the footage gets stolen and their ID gets released on t'internet

I think you need a licence no matter how you watch it. I know before they were saying that it was not right that people could watch stuff ten minutes later without a licence and i think it was this they were trying to stop. I do not even want a television. I would rather talk to you lot!!

john...

I think you need a licence no matter how you watch it. I know before they were saying that it was not right that people could watch stuff ten minutes later without a licence and i think it was this they were trying to stop. I do not even want a television. I would rather talk to you lot!!

john...

As far as I'm aware, only watching catch up TV for instance on BBC iPlayer and Channel 4 OD needs a licence. 

If you're watching on say Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.. There is no need. 

This;

As far as I'm aware, only watching catch up TV for instance on BBC iPlayer and Channel 4 OD needs a licence. 

If you're watching on say Netflix, Amazon Prime etc.. There is no need. 

There is a disclaimer on iPlayer now "do you have a tv license? " click yes and you don't have one then you're going to  jail.

Although if you find another way of watching BBC dross then they can't do much about it.

When Mr licence man comes round they will have a warrant signed by a JP but no evidence other than the assumption that everyone has a TV. You can revoke their right of assumed access and claim they have no evidence and they can't come in and that's it, except they are slippery fish and will try to trick you into showing them that you have no physical connection to the tv aerial or looking at you computer to see you browsing history they will try to load iPlayer and your done

See moneysaveingexpert or look up tv licence man on YouTube.

:)

IPlayer changed this year or end of last and now you need to sign up to iplayer to be able to use it which means giving your details, now you need a licence to watch it regardless of how or where you obtain it from. 

Hi there, What do you mean by; "load iplayer" has she gone and installed some sort of software on my computer then?? How do i remove it??

john..

There was an application but most go to iPlayer website.

If your not sure....

On Windows click start, scroll to run then type iPlayer and if it auto completes and loads iPlayer then it is installed.

I had to register for Iplayer last night for C4 . Just for F1 I missed the last two GP's.

I am getting harrased for a TV licence from a previous address although I transferred it to my new address .

They do not give up , the letters they send are intimidating - will you be in on the 25'th- we know you have no licence, you will have a visit - we can enter your premisses with a warrant - expext a visit , we can come anytime- it goes on and on .

I know , they conveniently don't mention this . The scare tactics are bordering on harrasment . I still have an interest in the property , i get about one letter a week or so - for over the last year or more . I just let them get on with it. I have nothing to hide .

I remember years ago when I was with my first wife, times were tough, and with a new wife, a new home and later a small baby to look after a tv licence wasn't exactly high on my list of priorities, one day they came knocking, I let my wife answer the door, she was only small and this guy was a great big bloke. He was giving it large about how he wanted to come in and see the telly, he had a legal right to force his way in and all this other carp!

Anyway I opened the lounge door slightly, hearing raised voices my large German Shepherd went tearing down the hall and stood there snarling, my young wife was amazingly quick with her reply to the beligerent man, "look love I.m not saying you can't come in, but my hubby's a dog handler, that's his dog and I have absolutely no control over it, I'm not supposed to let anyone in when he's out, but if you insist then I'll have to let you in. The only thing is if it bites you we're not responsible"

He left threatening to return, he did a couple of weeks later, when I was only too happy to show him my black and white licence, and have a go at him for upsetting my wife!

We had a customer who was not interested in TV whatsoever , didn't have one , didn't want one , well paid job  so not the money .

Twice a year they  threatened him with court action , he used to reply asking to be advised which court , what date etc  .  It never went any further. 

Honestly the cost of the postage they could have bought me one.
Lol....I once had letter sent through from a company I was working for with a 1st class stamp on it stating I owed them 11 pence for private mileage  :facepalm:

Lol....I once had letter sent through from a company I was working for with a 1st class stamp on it stating I owed them 11 pence for private mileage  :facepalm:

I would have taken great delight in cashing the stamp in and then driving the 11p to the office, and booking it to company time!

A few points to consider:

You're supposed to have a TV licence to watch iplayer

When you register for iplayer you have to give a postcode, email address and a date of birth but not much else

AFAIK they can't take "the occupier" to court even if they call them "the legal occupier" - the addition of the word 'legal' doesn't give it any more legal connotations.  If they don't know your name and can't find out then it's probably best not to introduce yourself to them or volunteer any information.

They could apply for a court order to forcefully enter your property to have a look if you're watching the telly, but they very rarely do, if ever.

"An enforcement officer has been authorised to visit your property" doesn't necessarily mean that court appointed bailiffs have a warrant to kick your door down, it could mean that their database has automatically added your address to a list of doors to be knocked on.  If they don't have a warrant granted by a court then you don't have to let them in or even speak to them.  Unless you invite them in they have no more powers than a door to door salesman.

Some radio presenter the other day was going on about how the 'millennial' generation don't answer the door unless someone texts them to say they're coming.  I'm a bit older than that but I don't either - the last time I answered my door entry phone because I was expecting a delivery it turned out to be someone wanting to talk to me about the church of Jesus Christ and the latter day saints, which isn't something that particularly interests me.  I don't have to open my door just because someone knocks on it - it's my door, I can do what I like with it.

You don't have to have special dispensation to send letters in red envelopes, anyone can do it although traditionally it infers urgency, a final demand, so if for instance you were to invoice your customers in red envelopes they might think you were being a bit pushy.  That's not to say you can't though - you can buy them off ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250-Red-Cinnabar-Red-Window-Envelopes-DIN-Long-220-mm-x-110-mm-Self-Adhesive-/192241023463?hash=item2cc27539e7:g:eWEAAOSwuq9ZX8pT