DIY central heating replacement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorvig

Reaction score
As I mention in my introduction, I am living in France.The house have an underfloor heating,Vailant 27kw. oil boiler,Underfloor pipes are plastic ,but all other pipes are still!  So rust from still pipes blocked plastic underfloor pipes about 70% and last year I spend 2 months trying to power-flush the system,It was obvious the cast iron boiler and still pipes must be replaced. My knowledge in this field insignificant,  After some internet search I decide to install Buderus logano plus GB 212 40kw condensing gas boiler ,and Logalux L160/2R hot water tank(under boiler). .Call the local company and receive estimate 27000 euros!!!!!! Only boiler and hot water tank installation without pipes changing.SO deride to DIY. First, boiler price with hot water tank : in France 7800 euros, in England - £5600, in Germany 4700 euros , with Logamatic RS300 control and pump. Bought in Germany,arrived fast,but with installation instructions in German.Call Buderus ,they have no in English,On internet found info :instructions in English does not exist for this boiler.Google translator never seen text like this ,and gave up. So, after careful analysis of situation I bought bottle of whiskey and after 5th glass been able to understand everything.Next day cut all the sill pipes up to manifolds ,In France they not soldering copper pipes, they brazing them. For what reason? Because  French   way of engineering excessively complicated.  Copper pipes bought in local shop, all the valves ,pressure vessels, pumps,from Ebay UK.It's 3 times cheaper. Within 4 days soldering been done..For 500 euros gas company installed gas meter on my fens and from there I dug the tranche to my house(I have little tractor with backhoe),SS gas pipe and duct cost 900 euros.In France it does not matter who done the gas work,you have to pay 100 euros, and government  inspector will test gas line and issue safety certificate..The gas inspector spoke English and explained I have to install special flue pipe for this boiler.In a plumbing shop they  have English speaking technician and he was very helpful.500 euros cost the pipe and 1 day to fit..Electrical connection and room thermostat simple ,easy installation. On Wednesday start the boiler - working!!!!.Today my wife call Buderus France (I don't speak French),technician came check the boiler,check installation,sign maintenance contract (90 euros per year) ,We had cup of coffee and the guy mention by French law you have to buy boiler only in France. I kept my mouth shut. The bottom line. : With bottle of whiskey ,British engineering way and dedication you can do any job.