hotpoint washer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive got a dead hotpoint WML560 washer. when its switched on it on door locks & fills with water as normal then nothing. no spin. usual LEDs are on (power, door locked and where in the program it is). seems to be either the PCB not powering the motor or the motor not working.  if you leave it for a while it does not progress further into the program so probably the PCB

anyone know how the motor works? there is a 7 way connector (exc earth) with 5 black and 2 red (which are for the speed i think). one of the blacks is live but nothing else

Last edited by a moderator:
It is usually the brushes worn if everything else is working as per it should. 

You can pick up the brushes for a few quid, quick change and all is good again. :)  

already ordered some, it was just the fact that it didnt go further through the program that made me think it was the PCB. that and the motor has a tacho so would have expected some kind of error when it didnt detect motor spinning when it should have been

I used to work on industrial laundrette equipment, an interesting thing about the brushes going, is you do get a warning, before they fail completely they don't spin as fast, resulting in clothes coming out damp.

When a programme doesn't advance it's quite often one of two things, either the pulse motor on the programmer is knacked, or the line to the pressure switch is blocked, it uses the pressure switch to sense there is the right amount of water in the drum before it advances the programme.

top tip with washing machines, if the rubber door seal is not kept clean inside it can develop a hole, sooner rather than later, if this happens then simply release it and rotate it 180 degrees, the hole is now at the top, it won't leak water, and you can keep the wife happy until you can get a new one.

Hmm, manual is a mute point.

It's not very good, and there is a lot of information missing, it doesn't comply with the requirements for a manual under the Supply of Machinery Safety Regulations by a long shot.