Electrical water heater problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonytilly

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I'm new to the forum and would like to ask your advice please.  I have an electrical water heater that was renewed last year.  This water heater is only used occasionally during the summer.  It heats the water in our guest room over our garage.   The water in the heater heats up but the cut out is tripped during the night.

I have checked the wiring according to the diagram supplied with the heater. All correct.  I have replaced the master cut out 40 amp switch.  I have just replaced the 25 amp off/auto/on switch.  The cut out still trips during the night.

Any suggestions please?

You must know where this "cut out" is that is tripping as presumably you keep re setting it? So is it the MCB in the consumer unit that is tripping? or a tiny little button on the thermostat inside the immersion heater, which you would have to remove the cover to see it?

And what is this "master cut out 40A switch" Is that the thing that is tripping?

Does the "thing" that's tripping also have a little "test" button on it?

Describe better what is actually tripping and we can probably help you further.

Hello ProDave,

Thanks for replying.  The switch that is tripping is on the consumer board  I will try and attach a photograph as I am obviously not explains myself very well.  As you have no doubt gathered, my expertise is not electrical but photographic or vintage car restoration.  So I'm on a learning curve here.

Yes, it has a test button that when I push the reset button the electrical supply is reconnected.  

During the day I checked the wiring for the water heater, checked the off/auto/on switch.  All looks good.  During the night (I'm not sure at what time)  the "master cut out 40a switch" trips.

The water heater is a French one (I live in France) the heater element and thermostat are fitted in the bottom, so you have to lay on your back with a torch to see what's what or adjust the thermostat.

So let me know if you need any further info.

Heater switch.jpg