Help wiring a rotary cam switch HZ5B 10A

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arronston78

Reaction score
Hello. Can anyone help me with the wiring of a rotary switch HZ5B 10A.  I'm trying to use it as a on/off switch for an item that I am turning into a lamp. The switch it self is just 2 positions on or off. I did a test set up with a 9v battery and a couple of LED. and it worked perfect. I've tried wiring it the same way but this time with proper E27 lamp holders and mains. But nothing. happens.  Thanks in advance. 

Hi. I had the live wire from mains into no 1 terminal. The neutral from the mains in to no 5 terminal. Then the live from number 6 terminal and neutral from no 2 to the bulb fitting. Hope this makes sense??

Turning a meter into a lamp, that's novel!
It's an old 1950 volt meter looks great. Thought is try and turn it into an arty farty lamp! 

I am thinking what you did should work although it is not 100% correct.

So my thinking is :

1 & 2 are a contact (switch)

5 & 6 are a contact

Then L from plug to 1, then a wire from 2 to centre of lamp holder

And N from plug to 5, then a wire from 6 to outer connection of lamp holder.

(if my pairings are wrong then ignore above 😀)

Check your plug fuse is good and rated at 3A.

Check your lamp (bulb) is good.

Sometimes centre tab in lamp holder needs bent very slightly to make better contact with bulb (make sure you are unplugged before doing this)

You may need to consider case earthing depending on design.

If you are not sure about the electrics keep seeking advice as it hurts when it goes wrong.

Good luck and post a pic up.

(if my pairings are wrong then ignore above 😀)

Assuming the switch is numbered correctly, you would usually have odds for in and evens for out, and each pair would correspond so 1in+2out, 3in+4out etc...

Assuming the switch is numbered correctly, you would usually have odds for in and evens for out, and each pair would correspond so 1in+2out, 3in+4out etc...
Agreed, that is what I thought but I hate assuming and i thought I would cover myself in case it was an oddball.

Hi thanks both. I've managed to get it working with one bulb! . Now just to complicate things,I want to connect another two bulbs if its not too complicated! Bulbs are 45w e27. Plug has a 3amp fuse. Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

So you need to connect them in parallel:

L from first goes to L on second then to L on third, so all centre pins are connected together.

N from first goes to N on second and so on, so all outer rings are connected together.

What was wrong that it hadn't worked the first time?

Be careful with the amount of heat these 3 lamps will generate, you may find casing getting a tad warm.

Hi thanks for your speedy reply. I'll get on to it later. I think it was the fuse in plug. I last checked it earlier that day whilst I was trying to work it out myself. But when you advised me I didn't check the fuse before. I replaced the fuse then it worked! 

When you say heat from the casing. Do you mean from the bulb holders? 

I mean the heat from the lamps (bulbs) themselves, not sure what your construction looks like so it is difficult to advise, but 3 x 45W lamps in an enclosed space will generate a fair bit of heat.

Thanks for the advice. I've finished the lamp. Works and looks great! I've tried adding a pic. But it says file is too large unfortunately