Electric towel rail stopped working.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalia

Reaction score
Hi. I have used similar sites to these while trying to solve other problems I have experienced and found them to be helpful. I am hoping this will help now but having read some other posts im abit nervous, due to some of the responses I have seen. I couldn't find my way back to the right topic that I had read before joining so I'm starting a new one. I have an electric towel rail in my bathroom that suddenly stopped working yesterday. I have changed the fuse but still not working. Is there a chance that it's just something like a heating element that can be easily replaced or has it had it completely ? I'm a mother, grandmother and full time carer with no spare money and 7 peoples clothes to wash and dry with no outside drying space and no tumble dryer. The towel rail and drying rack are what I rely on so I'm hoping for a miracle answer if someone has one please.

you wont get any further without any testing. you need a multimeter at least. check the resistance of the element, if its good then check voltage at the switch.

if it is the element then they can almost always be replaced

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a chance that it's just something like a heating element that can be easily replaced or has it had it completely

Depends on what unit it is exactly. Some of the newer ones have replaceable elements (but also contain some form of liquid so will need to be changed by someone who knows what they are doing). Some older/cheaper units are fixed and if the element is faulty the entire thing needs replacing.

Either way, it sounds like it needs someone with some tools and test equipment to have a look and advise/repair/replace.

Thank you guys. I think I know somewhere in town that should sell a multimeter. I will go and look today. Have no clue how to use one but I will learn.

Thank you guys. I think I know somewhere in town that should sell a multimeter. I will go and look today. Have no clue how to use one but I will learn.

Before you go out buying potentially useless tools consider getting some calls in to a local electrician first. Might end up costing the same anyway and it will be a lot safer all round.

you cant really get it wrong enough to do damage testing resistance of the element, but get it wrong trying to measure the voltage and it may end up with a large bang...

When I went to buy the multimeter the guy showed me few different types but he advised me not to try as he seemed to indicate I could end up getting a shock. So at the moment been trying to go over all the fuses. The one in the wall has been replaced but there is still no little light showing. I have 2 main fuse units in my top cupboard, one is modern with flip switches and other is old pull out style. I have tested my heating which is storage heaters and their working so it can't be the fuse for the heating system. Then I have a fuse for bathroom so I tested the electric heater and that works, shower has its own separate point. But all of these are working ruling out the bathroom fuse. So now I don't know where to go from here. Guy in the shop did say that a plumber might be cheaper then an electrican but while I'm saving for one any things I can check or try would be good please.

When I went to buy the multimeter the guy showed me few different types but he advised me not to try as he seemed to indicate I could end up getting a shock. So at the moment been trying to go over all the fuses. The one in the wall has been replaced but there is still no little light showing. I have 2 main fuse units in my top cupboard, one is modern with flip switches and other is old pull out style. I have tested my heating which is storage heaters and their working so it can't be the fuse for the heating system. Then I have a fuse for bathroom so I tested the electric heater and that works, shower has its own separate point. But all of these are working ruling out the bathroom fuse. So now I don't know where to go from here. Guy in the shop did say that a plumber might be cheaper then an electrican but while I'm saving for one any things I can check or try would be good please.

I suspect this is reasonably simple and any of us here could identify the issue in a matter of minutes, if we were there. Unfortunately trying to train you to do electrics is not something that is going to end well. I have already told you that buying a multimeter is a waste of money.

Just bite the bullet and get a spark in, seriously you are way out of your depth.

Ok guys thank you all. Think my house is just gonna have to look like a Chinese laundry for a couple of months. I'm not wasting my cash buying something that I don't know how to use or put myself in any danger. Will save for an electrian. I appreciate the time you all took to respond. 

Ok guys thank you all. Think my house is just gonna have to look like a Chinese laundry for a couple of months. I'm not wasting my cash buying something that I don't know how to use or put myself in any danger. Will save for an electrian. I appreciate the time you all took to respond. 
Thank God for that. You said your a granny, imagine you made a balls-up and one of the children got shocked or worse. Even a dodgey connection could cause a fire. 

I'm not trying to offend, just explain the seriousness of electricity.