DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
CK-TOOLS

Cable routing

Cable routing  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What are the main issues you face when cable routing? (comment below with any input, we'd love to hear from you!)

• Splintering
    • Hooking the cable
    • Routing in the dark
    • Routing through awkward gaps
    • Other (comment below)

CK-TOOLS    18
CK-TOOLS

Hi all, 

We're looking for some feedback on how we can improve your working life! Please take part in our poll and share your input! 

Lurch    521
Lurch

Can you make a hook that only hooks 1.5mm² green/yellow singles? I am constantly cleaning up piles of insulation that I keep pulling out of random holes!

I notice in your video for the new rods that it was all over ceilings and under floors, nice easy stuff. I can do that with any old bit of trunking lid/old curtain track/snapped off branch (not belittling the rods though). The more challenging job is fishing blind between 2 rooms through a 10-20mm hole each end through brick cavities between floors stuffed with insulation. Now if you could make something that enabled me to do that first time, or even in the first 10 mins, I'd be all over it. Many a time I have spent an hour or more fishing wires to save having cables on show, customers love the end result, I don't enjoy the journey!

ProDave    1,742
ProDave

I use a steel  fish wire that rolls up on a drum. It has the big advantage over "rods" that you can pre bend it to any shape you want to fish things round corners or through holes that are not in line with each other.

Andy™    2,116
Andy™

i often use 2.4mm welding rod bent to whatever shape necessary

Sharpend    645
Sharpend

I just smash a big enough hole to see what I'm doing!

PPP    12
PPP

I've often thought a passive proximity tag on the cable / rod  in the wall and a detector in your hand would save a lot of "why isn't the cable where I think it is" moments.

cheers, Paul

Onoff    795
Onoff

I've stolen a few of the kid's Geomag magnets, taped to the ends, the two "meeting" rods don't need to be that close for them to find each other they're so strong. Similarly used on a line before dropping down between studs. You also hear a quite loud "click" as they come together.

Lurch    521
Lurch
13 hours ago, Sharpend said:

I just smash a big enough hole to see what I'm doing!

There was a bloke we used to call 'Head & Shoulders' because he'd start with a little hole just big enough to get the rod in and then he'd keep opening it up a little bit more until it was more 'loft hatch' than 'access hole'.

kerching    1,875
kerching
12 hours ago, Onoff said:

I've stolen a few of the kid's Geomag magnets, taped to the ends, the two "meeting" rods don't need to be that close for them to find each other they're so strong. Similarly used on a line before dropping down between studs. You also hear a quite loud "click" as they come together.

Agreed

I use the Super Rod sets.....the double magnet OR the magnet and chain set have got me out of the poo on a number of occasions

8 hours ago, Lurch said:

There was a bloke we used to call 'Head & Shoulders' because he'd start with a little hole just big enough to get the rod in and then he'd keep opening it up a little bit more until it was more 'loft hatch' than 'access hole'.

We had a bloke worked for us...his nickname was Canestan ...he was an irritating.  ????

We had another called 'Rockwool' as he got up everyone's nose 

Andy™    2,116
Andy™

im glad i work mostly on my own

kerching    1,875
kerching

I work 99% on my own now. Apparently the above two statements can be applied to me at times!

i know, I know it is hard t believe but nonetheless true