Imperial cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Davies

Reaction score
What do you guys put on an eicr for imperial cables (stranded)and is there a table for sizes .cpc,s etc.

Its a good question because there isn't room  to write the imperial sizes  in the boxes.       I've had a few crop up and I filled in as the equivalent metric size TBH.

1.00 mm sq   was 1/.044  but is always rubber insulated  , never seen that size in PVC  .

1.5 mm sq.    was  3/.029    I think the earth was  1.044.

2.5 mm sq.    was  7/.029    Earthwire was 3/.029  (1.5) 

4.00 mm sq   was  7/044    Earth was probably 3/.029  (1.5)

6.00 mm sq.  was  7/.052  ( I think)   Earth probably  7/.029 ( 2.5)  

10.00 mm sq  was 7/.064  (I think)   Earth no idea.

Larger sizes I can't remember  .    Anyway  , speaking for myself , use the metric equivalent , no one will understand the imperials now  ...only old pharts like Stepps  & The Doc.   

Not me of course.  

Its a good question because there isn't room  to write the imperial sizes  in the boxes.       I've had a few crop up and I filled in as the equivalent metric size TBH.

1.00 mm sq   was 1/.044  but is always rubber insulated  , never seen that size in PVC  .

Larger sizes I can't remember  .    Anyway  , speaking for myself , use the metric equivalent , no one will understand the imperials now  ...only old pharts like Stepps  & The Doc.   

Not me of course.  

I usually write the metric equivalent and in notes put down that its imperial equivalent size cable.

I can only ever remember the 1.5 and 2.5 sizes,

as for the earth sizes,

no idea,

I usually write the metric equivalent and in notes put down that its imperial equivalent size cable.

I can only ever remember the 1.5 and 2.5 sizes,

as for the earth sizes,

no idea,
The only one I'm sure about  is 7/.029  which had a 3/.029 earth wire.        It was great to work with , very flexible  being stranded,  didn't need three men to push a socket back against a box .   I believe you can buy stranded  2.5   but not round here. 

Not me of course.  
Thank you

The only one I'm sure about  is 7/.029  which had a 3/.029 earth wire.        It was great to work with , very flexible  being stranded,  didn't need three men to push a socket back against a box .   I believe you can buy stranded  2.5   but not round here. 
Thank you

That brought back some memories, trying to get 0.2” (37/.103) in to 185mm² lugs (nothing a hammer couldn’t cure).

And that brought back memories of me and an apprentice in a cupboard the size of an airing cupboard with a 95mm² shaped 4 core, a 2 part hydraulic crimper (that leaked), a busbar and an MG DB. It was pretty cosy.

Yes I know   Sorry mate ...couldn't resist it.  :coat      We all used to buy the "Guide to the 13th  / 14th  editions back then , never knew a sparks who had the "official"  one.   Heres one from the Evans Electric archive dept.     Complete with coffee mug stain . 

Scan0001.jpg