Architrave dry lining back box ??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty_ian

Reaction score
Hi folks:

I'm installing an architrave light switch in a plasterboard wall and am trying to find a flush mounted plastic dry lining back box.  There doesn't seem to be such a thing so I seem to be stuck using a metal flush mounted one but I don't have anyway of securing it behind the platerboard.  Please has any one some bright ideas.

Thanks

cut the hole same size as box, use bits of wood with gripfil on to stick to back of pb on each side, wait, drill holes in side of box and screw to wood

you might have trouble with safe zones above and below as the switches are very narrow

Good thinking pro Dave  I'll give it a go. I read an old forum post that someone heard about putting 'ears ' on a metal flush box. Any idea what that could have been.

cut the hole same size as box, use bits of wood with gripfil on to stick to back of pb on each side, wait, drill holes in side of box and screw to wood

you might have trouble with safe zones above and below as the switches are very narrow
Like it thanks

I have bolted angle brackets on the side of a metal patress before too...
Like that idea better thanks

I can see how a box with brackets bolted on can be pushed through the hole (with cable inserted), twisted and pulled into position. But what stops it falling out into the cavity and being lost? if not during installation, then during any maintenance.

I can see how a box with brackets bolted on can be pushed through the hole (with cable inserted), twisted and pulled into position. But what stops it falling out into the cavity and being lost? if not during installation, then during any maintenance.
Some sticks like sh*t to glue it in place.

Well chaps, I’ve had the need for one of these a few times over the years so have spent the time and money recently investing in getting these manufactured, currently on eBay and will soon be on my website and in your local wholesales 

Well chaps, I’ve had the need for one of these a few times over the years so have spent the time and money recently investing in getting these manufactured, currently on eBay and will soon be on my website and in your local wholesales 

Personally I think you've probably wasted your time...

This thread goes back many years...  and there hasn't been that many other questions for them...

AND by definition,  architrave boxes need to fit into narrow spaces, where standard width boxes don't fit...

So generally there is at least one, (or more), studs or battens nearby that a metal architrave box could be fixed to..

Also a word of caution.....

If you are intending to advertise your new boxes on the forum you will probably need to become a sponsor...

or any posts will get removed...  and/or you could get barred from posting..   

Otherwise its unfair on the other companies who do sponsor and pay for their advertising...

Best of luck with your boxes... 

But if there really was a lot of demand for them,  I think companies like Appleby would have included them in their range a long time ago...

as they make almost every other type of dry-line box needed...?

I've been self employed since Feb 1999...   And never needed a plasterboard architrave box....    :C

Guinness

In the 45 years I've been in the trade I have probably fitted no more than 10 architrave switches and 2 or 3 of them were 2 gang switches so wouldn't fit your 1 gang box and none of them needed or would have been easier to fit with a dry lining box.

Not sure how you researched the market for these boxes but I don't see them being a big seller at the price they are

Sorry to say this but I think you have developed a solution for an  almost non  existent problem.

probably fitted 5/10 in 50 years.  I carry one as a spare, just in case. It has been in the van for so long ....it's  an mK version with square corners

never ever fitted a 2 gang one either, has anyone?

Quite nicely done.

s-l1600.jpg.22a81e5840fc4964801979d4dedc09ab.jpg

But the price needs to drop a LOT before I buy a couple to keep the the box just in case.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I’ve been a sparky for 27 years, I know it’s not something that will be fitted every day but it’s a get you out of the ****e item, when they move a door lining on second fix, would you rather spend time trying to carve it out and fill the wall after or 2 mins fitting one of these, I’ve also spent my time making low level light fittings that will fit into the boxes, I get the price is not cheap and will be cheaper as more boxes sell, it’s been a real eye opener bringing the product to market how much is involved in every way, base on my research there are 200k sparks in the uk, if 1 in 4 of us use 1 each year that will do me  as I’m not looking to be a millionaire but would be nice if it acts as a pension pot item. 

Status
Not open for further replies.