It's all gone mental!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil d

Reaction score
recently an MP, claimed that victims of sexual abuse, such as those targeted by the gangs in Rochdale and Rotherham, should keep quiet for the sake of integration and diversity! Incidentally said MP was of the same ethnic background as the abusers!

This set me thinking about all that is wrong in this country at the moment, we've large groups of foreigners moving over here, most of whom seem unwilling to, A) integrate, and B) learn to speak our language, yet the Met police have recently announced that due to cutbacks affecting the number of officers available, they may have to alter the response criteria, priority being given to non English speakers, (later disabled and vulnerable people were added, presumably in an attempt to avoid a backlash) Gypsy's are now to be referred to as "travelers" (they don't) to avoid being accused of discrimination, we cannot describe anyone as coloured, and Black is often seen as a bit dodgy too, as for a shorter form of the name Pakistan, that's a definite no no!

So in an ideal world here's how it goes, I'm sat outside the shop in my car after buying my lunch, an alarm goes off and 2 males leg out of the local bank, one has a gun, the other a bag of cash. I  leap out of my car and run after them, "EXCUSE ME" I yell, as we run down the high street, " could you define your ethnicity for me, I don't want to be accused of being a racist when the police ask me for a description"

What about us eh? a lot of people don't like people from Liverpool (scousers), now I live halfway between Liverpool and Manchester, sometimes if I'm away people say I'm a scouser, I'm not, could that not be argued as some kind of insult? What about calling an Irishman Paddy? or a Scotsman Jock, or a Welshman Taffy, no I think the PC brigade have gone too far in recent years, they have to get involved in things and in most cases make things worse, is the reason for the growing intolerance of immigrants not due in some large part to the way they are treated, or would I perhaps be more accurate in saying, the way we are expected to treat them?

Is it not understandable that there is resentment when people who were born and raised here are unable to get a council house, yet a person who has been here for 5 minutes is given one? Presumably not necessarily because of need, but because of a fear of being accused of racism, if they are not given one.

Recently I was talking to a gay friend, and the subject of gay marriage came up, He was saying that by and large the gay community are not overly bothered by it all, a civil partnership was fine, however it was hijacked by the do gooders who decided that gay people must be totally equal to everyone else, ( remember the Monty Python sketch where Eric Idle wanted to be called Gloria, and have babies, it was pointed out that he physically couldn't have babies as he didn't have a womb, "brothers we shall fight for his right to have a womb," yelled the agitators)  a classic case in my opinion of busy bodies interfering in something they shouldn't.

With all the genuine problems in the world today, such as North Korea seemingly hell bent on starting world war 3 with absolutely anyone, wouldn't it make sense to concentrate on the important things in the world? Yes we should catch murderers, rapists paedophiles, drug dealers, etc. Should we be afraid of upsetting someone because of their colour or ethnic background as we do it? NO!

Any thought on this, for an intelligent intellectual debate?

Well Phil if we go back to basics and followed the teaching of 'treat others as you wish to be treated' then there would be no such thing as discrimination or racial equality as we'd all be respectful and mindful to be the same. Whilst ideal we all know that they this will not happen without a cataclysmic miracle known as divine intervention. However we all as individuals have the ability to change ourselves, so realistically it all comes down to how we individually perceive, value, respect ourselves and those around us. 

What I would say is this, the uk is one of the most tolerant, unracist places I know. Anyone who has been to America will have seen racism for themselves, what we have here is merely verbal abuse. What is being tested is our tolerance, I don't blame any person for wanting to improve their quality of life, I'm sure we'd all move somewhere to improve our life, what is wrong is the way that the integration is handled by 'our' government. 

Racism like many things only exists in adulthood, how many infant schools do you see with children being racist? So that tells us that all that we are and represent us nothing but learned behaviour, therefore it can be unlearnt! 

Exactly, a lot of other countries more or less insist you learn their language, Tenerife  for example, if you visit a hospital everything is in their own language. if you want a report in English, French, Urdu, Hindi or whatever then YOU pay for a translation, over here we spend many thousands on translating.

Likewise "racism" a commonly used and much misunderstood term, saying for example, " I hate Indians, or Pakistani's or Poles, or any other race is indeed racist! However someone saying "I hate Muslims" isn't racist, since Muslim is a creed, not a race.

I think that political correctness has a hell of a lot to answer for, take "love thy neighbour" for example, a 70's comedy about a black man and a white man who lived next door to each other, they gave as good as they got, and laughed about it, the white man called his neighbour "sambo" and the coloured guy called him, "honky", it was all banter, they showed it to a group of 20 somethings and they were horrified, calling it racist and offensive, in my opinion a lot of stuff is only offensive if it is taken as such, and meant as such.

Exactly, a lot of other countries more or less insist you learn their language, Tenerife  for example, if you visit a hospital everything is in their own language. if you want a report in English, French, Urdu, Hindi or whatever then YOU pay for a translation, over here we spend many thousands on translating.

Likewise "racism" a commonly used and much misunderstood term, saying for example, " I hate Indians, or Pakistani's or Poles, or any other race is indeed racist! However someone saying "I hate Muslims" isn't racist, since Muslim is a creed, not a race.

I think that political correctness has a hell of a lot to answer for, take "love thy neighbour" for example, a 70's comedy about a black man and a white man who lived next door to each other, they gave as good as they got, and laughed about it, the white man called his neighbour "sambo" and the coloured guy called him, "honky", it was all banter, they showed it to a group of 20 somethings and they were horrified, calling it racist and offensive, in my opinion a lot of stuff is only offensive if it is taken as such, and meant as such.
That programme gets a lot of stick and  no one has the guts to repeat it these days .  But as  Phil says it wasn't racist  , the two wives got on fine and as the series progressed  , the two guys ,  Honkey & Sambo   were becoming good friends  .    

People are too touchy these days ............I could take offence at the   sketch in "Goodness Gracious Me"     when the Indians  going for a meal  are " Going out for an English "    I don't because it was funny .  

As an "Ethnic Minority "  myself  I seem to get on with most people .....being a white Englishman in Birmingham  could be a lot worse!!  :innocent

1/ stop reading the Daily Mail's misrepresentations of the truth.

2/ Love they neighbor was a deliberate send up of race and prejudice, and bloody funny! 

3/ my own feeling is nicknames are part of being accepted into our society, or if being ignored, a culture / race that has been fully integrated.....ie no-one gives toss about you walking down the street anymore, same as white middle aged men get totally ignored.

4/ groups like Gay Pride etc etc, should stop shouting about a single issue as they see it, ( most people accept their position these days, even if they don't necessarily like it) they should be shouting about equality for-all, including white men / women . Keep ignoring the ordinary white people of the UK and you will get/ have got, hatred and resentment.

Racism is taken way too far nowadays. I remember back in the early 90's my mate and i were having a real good laugh with a black guy who worked within the same company. The black guy commented on how much of a dick my mate looked with his curtain hair-do, to which he replied, "well at least i don't look like a microphone!". We all burst out in uncontrollable laughter and got on with it. People take offence because they feel they should now. We just considered it banter.

Anything can be said in banter and most will laugh with you, sadly in this day and age banter is forbidden for fear of just one, you could say a minority, being offended. 

Isn't democracy about the masses not the minority? So where is it? 

Ive heard many abusive racist thing come from a minority and yet we are to ignore it, but the boot on other foot makes it wrong right? 

What we need is a leader of men regardless of race colour or creed, who is not afraid to say it as it is. 

Racism is taken way too far nowadays. I remember back in the early 90's my mate and i were having a real good laugh with a black guy who worked within the same company. The black guy commented on how much of a dick my mate looked with his curtain hair-do, to which he replied, "well at least i don't look like a microphone!". We all burst out in uncontrollable laughter and got on with it. People take offence because they feel they should now. We just considered it banter.
Exactly, I worked with a lad on one firm, a big black guy from Jamaica, his name was Vernon, he'd lived over here for years, lovely bloke, still had a strong Jamaican accent.Every morning he'd walk in, "mornin guys how's you all doin?" he'd say in that smooth Jamaican accent, I'd reply in my best attempt at copying it, "I's alright maan, how's yourself?" and everyone would burst out laughing! As I said he was a lovely bloke, we'd wind each other up and it was all taken in the spirit it was meant, nothing harmful or racist.

It all depends how things are said, you can tell by the tone usually if they are meant to be nasty or not.

I think these days that there are a lot of people who feel the need to be offended on behalf of others, and these people cause a lot of the problems, if for example I was to call Andy a geordie git, (laughing) he might reply, also laughing with a comment about scousers, I wouldn't take offence , and I'm sure he wouldn't. However there is bound to be somebody who will, why?

Life was much better before it all went PC, you could have a laugh, everyone gave as good as they got, and it made the day go by, now people spend so much time trying to be PC they've forgotten how to have a laugh.

So come on you lot, be you a mad paddy, a raving drunk jock, a sheep chasing taffy or whatever politically incorrect name you may jokingly be called, lets say "sod the pc brigade" and keep taking the pee out of each other, because we know it's all in jest.

PS if this offends anyone TOUGH, deal with it.lol :slap

I was in Liverpool the other week, don't suppose you've seen my wheels have you?  :D

Between mates there is never an issue, or shouldn't be, but there are those who would call someone  a 'black bastard' for example, and mean it. Then claim it's just a it of banter when in reality it is racist bullying, bit like all the sexual harrasment stuff women used to suffer in offices. No one should have to put up with **** from anyone at work, home, or out and about minding their own business. Unfortunately you kind of have to apply  a blanket ban across the board to get to the racist/ sexist/ generally nasty people of the world. Not saying it hasn't gone too far sometimes ( and certainly some use it for their own gain), but I do think it is better not to use derogatory terms, you can pull someones leg without calling them a sheep shagging drunk southern poof potato picker.  :innocent

I was in Liverpool the other week, don't suppose you've seen my wheels have you?  :D

Between mates there is never an issue, or shouldn't be, but there are those who would call someone  a 'black bastard' for example, and mean it. Then claim it's just a it of banter when in reality it is racist bullying, bit like all the sexual harrasment stuff women used to suffer in offices. No one should have to put up with **** from anyone at work, home, or out and about minding their own business. Unfortunately you kind of have to apply  a blanket ban across the board to get to the racist/ sexist/ generally nasty people of the world. Not saying it hasn't gone too far sometimes ( and certainly some use it for their own gain), but I do think it is better not to use derogatory terms, you can pull someones leg without calling them a sheep shagging drunk southern poof potato picker.  :innocent
I have used this term many times in jest with certain mates. They were never offended and I would get "Fenian" back. @steptoe and @poni will know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used this term many times in jest with certain mates. They were never offended and I would get "Fenian" back. @steptoe and @poni will know what I'm talking about.
exactly, it's also how it's said, that's why I don't like texting, a lot can be misconstrued because there's no "tone" with a text, also if it comes from someone you know then generally you know if it's said in jest.