How to improve RTC timing accuracy (error no more than 0.5 s/day)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yiwai

Reaction score
As shown in the attached picture, about the RTC chip,I adopted DS1302, which is directly inserted, and the load capacitance is 6pf, C47 C52 was not welded.

f0414229d0c0af543ca0962e670ab0c7.jpeg.65e432960e0ccfc803c7ad24542e0939.jpeg

With 20ppm, the error is 2s/day. And then I tried again with 5ppm, the error had not changed. 

Is there any better way to improve the accuracy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, yiwai, welcome to the forum, we are mainly focussed on UK building electrical installations, though a few of us have some interest, and some work outside that field.

When you say ppm, I read that as parts per million, is that what you mean, and if so with regard to what?

If not parts per million, what are you using ppm to refer to?

If I remember correctly altering the frequency will alter the accuracy, but I cant remember how to work it out, I,m referring to item marked as Y2. hope this helps.

I would assume you have looked at the DS1302 data sheet links for clock accuracy which refer to application note 58?

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/58

Other than that you are probably better looking on an electronics based forum rather than an electricians forum aimed at UK electrical wiring practices and regulations.

Doc H

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts