Voltage Optimization Hard Sell

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a visit from my unfortunate mate at the weekend. When I say unfortunate perhaps gullible is a bettter term.

If you knock on his door or ring him up he'll buy "it". :( Wills, funeral plans, pc support contract, double glazing (already had it!). Just sound clever and he'll write you a cheque and never get a second or third quote. 

An early adopter of PV he's since been sold "batteries" by an affiliated company (still waiting to get photos of them, apparently set in carpet tiles in the loft. The latest is he "has a bloke coming round...who rang up...they fit a box...the Government wants everyone to have one by 2020...get in early to beat the rush"...

More snake oil!

Funnily enough we were on about those voltage optimisers the other day, I remember this bloke at one of the electrical shows going on about how good they were. I remember pointing out to him a few obvious flaws in the theory, such as, if you decrease the voltage then it affects other things in the circuit,it went over his head! In the end I resorted to a simple one, if an electric kettle running  at 3KW 240 V takes 3 minutes to boil water, then reducing the voltage will increase the time taken to boil  water, and so increase the cost, it was lost on him.

The other day,that EU law came in banning vacuum cleaners over a certain wattage, there was a guy on the news arguing the point that in almost all cases, a reduction in wattage will result in less suction, which will result in longer to clean up which will result in more power being used. Apparently the people who dreamed up this daft idea reckon not. It would seem I really did have a wasted education, I clearly remember being taught in physics, that "energy cannot be destroyed,merely changed from one state to another".

How unnerving it is after all these years to discover that people like Einstein,Newton,and various other well respected scientists were wrong, and that apparently you can get something for nothing,or at least that's what these modern idiots would have you believe. lol

Latest posts