Power Sockets with USB ports ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learn today that  the  USB ports  only supply half the indicated current  when both  ports are in use  .  

Two  types I looked at were  a Denman's cheapo brand @  £8.00   ea    and the MK   @  £18.00+   .   Both  were the same regarding  output with both in use.  

Is this the norm I ask  ?   

I have one  at home  which struggles to  charge  the wife's  Fire Tablet thing   while it seems happy to charge my phone.  

If you look at screwies they have some boasting larger outputs but I don't trust the Chinese tat.

I have BG ones at home, they are okay for stuff you arent in a hurry for but you can't beat an apple or samsung fast charger. 

As far as I understand the vast majority of multiple outlet USB chargers, be they plug in adapters or built into socket outlets, generally quote the maximum power for all USB's in simultaneous use. I have an old 4 port plug in charger that clearly states 2A using 1USB, 1A each using 2USB's, 0.66Aeach using 3USB's, 0.5A using 4USB's.  I have always thought this was the standard way of quoting USB charge outputs. MK documentation clearly combined 2.0A across both USB's.  http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_1230028.pdf

Doc H.

I bought a couple from B&Q last year,they were on offer @2 for 15 quid, however the one in the bedroom seems to have failed. The one downstairs charges my phone in about 2 hours, the one in the bedroom, takes a lot longer, I put the phone on charge the other night at about 11 pm, it had around 20% left on the battery. the following morning it was only showing 75%! not very clever.

Interesting stuff in that document. Wonder if they will be updating it?

I will continue to recommend that clients don't have them, and use adaptors from reputable sources which can be unplugged.

That article is from a spring 2014 magazine.

BS1363-2, "13 A plugs, socket-outlets, adaptors and connection units Part 2: Specification for 13 A switched and unswitched socket-outlets" has 2016 been updated.

This standard now includes a specific normative, that is compulsory appendix which I think addresses all of the issues in that article.

Therefore, such socket outlets containing USB devices are now fully controlled by the safety requirements of BS1363 & further more, this extends to the electronic sections, creepage distances, insulation ratings, over-current protection etc.

There is also a paragraph in Part 1 scope, that I had not noticed in the past!...

image.png

Is this the norm I ask  ?   

Yes and no. It's not necessarily half each, some have a total load per all outlets, some have a standard and high power socket, or other combinations thereof. I think 'the norm' depends largely on where you are and what the local suppliers have. I struggle getting certain brands or items in particular towns and/or get lots of 'no mate, we don't have any call for that here'.

Bit excessive, but you knew that already I'm sure.

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/electrical-professionals/product-safety-unit/usb-socket-outlets/

Last edited by a moderator: