any Draytek experts?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got a problem with draytek & VPN.

VPN is all set up on the router at the office. behind it is also a mail server

if i connect via my home PC or laptop, then all works perfectly, emails work as they should (outlook),

problem being, if i connect from my phone, emails dont work, it just says cant open connection to server. seems as though any traffic that is being redirected back to the office IP is not working, but it does from the PC / laptop

Any ideas?

What phone? What VPN client? Is there an option in there to send all traffic over the VPN? Probably still using the default gateway. A traceroute should tell you where it is going.

sony Z5. ive tried with the draytek app & the phones built in VPN settings.

option to send all traffic over VPN is ticked and its set to use the VPN's gateway. after further testing, if i dont use the VPN gateway then it does work, but the traffic is being sent from the local network (googled IP and its my home internet one

just to clarify, the home PC and laptop, are they connecting over VPN too?

yes, home PC & laptop are both using the same VPN via the draytek program, and all traffic through that works perfectly. ive also tried on my tablet and same thing is happening there, so it looks like it may be either the draytek app or android related

since you mention trace route, ive download a traceroute app.

without VPN on google, my domain name & IP address it works. on VPN google works but my domain & IP address shows nothing

ive also tested it connected to wifi & mobile data, same results

Last edited by a moderator:
So if 'send all traffic over VPN' is ticked and 'use VPN gateway' is unticked it works?

Might be simply using the remote gateway and ignoring the local network. Could be as designed/not working the way you think it might.

since you mention trace route, ive download a traceroute app.

without VPN on google, my domain name & IP address it works. on VPN google works but my domain & IP address shows nothing

I'm not sure what you mean, what works?

Traceroute gives you details about where the the traffic is going, there isn't a works/doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive tried unticking the box. emails do then work, however it is using my home network gateway to access the emails as though it was any computer and not using the VPN

there is another computer that i access there too. ont he office network its 192.168.2.30 port 7500. externally is 82.xx.xx.xx:7500. if i use the VPN then it cant find 82.xx.xx.xx:7500, however if i use its local address of 192.168.2.30:7500 it works fine. if i use the VPN without the use remote gateway ticked then it finds it by 82.... but the log for that also shows its being accessed by the IP address of the home modem.

on the pc & laptop, above works as it should

it seems as though the phone / tablet cant connect to a device within the VPN network using its external address but the PC / laptop can

Traceroute gives you details about where the the traffic is going, there isn't a works/doesn't work.
by works i mean it gives a list of where its going, doesnt work its just a blank list

Possibly hairpin NAT on the office router, although later Drayteks have this rule enabled/setup I think.

Could be DNS, so use IP instead to confirm.

the emails is the only thing to use domain name, all other connections i use are the ip address & port. neither work, so i dont think its a DNS issue