Earthing is optional

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All 3 CPC's cut back and not terminated.

light switch.jpg

The annoying thing is I only popped the light switch off to help fish a new cable down the wall for a new heating system.

And yes it was feeding class 1 light fittings.

What, you mean that bare copper thing isn't just there to make stripping the cable easier? :slap

If course I wasn't surprised. Very little surprises me now.

Ir was actually a very interesting house,  an old stone cottage converted in the 70's I would say. Dug out to form a semi basement to then gain enough height for rooms upstairs, lots of split levels, staircases going down then back up (why do I think of Fawlty Towers?)   It was probably an architects masterpiece and very contemporary in it's day, but that is where it still is, with a black, a blue and a green bathroom suite (3 different bathrooms) and looks like nothing has been updated whatsoever since it's conversion.  I loved the track lighting upstairs where the track went along the landing, through a notch in the wall and into the bedroom.

What DID surprise me is three CU's all original metal rewireable wylex (with plug in MCB's) but they all had an RCD main switch. Honestly the first time I have seen a rewireable with an RCD, did not even know it was possible.  Overhead TT supply which is again unusual for these parts.

Mostly R80 "downlighters" the GU10 of their day.

I was only there to wire the new heating system.

What DID surprise me is three CU's all original metal rewireable wylex (with plug in MCB's) but they all had an RCD main switch. Honestly the first time I have seen a rewireable with an RCD, did not even know it was possible.  Overhead TT supply which is again unusual for these parts.

I hope it’s possible, that’s how I did my first house back in dark ages. TT OH supply, Crabtree 500mA RCD and a Wylex 3036 8 way board.

30mA RCD’s cost an arm and a leg. We had them at work where they were locked in a cage, to get one issued you had to sign in blood.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen one either, but that would not be unusual.

I think that the old Wylex RCD' that fitted into like a REC 2 with end covers may have been the same footprint as the main switches?

In 10 years I have seen two boards like what is described, so realativly rare, one of them was actually a '16th edition' split board, but in the wylex standard range, don't think I have the pictures anymore, the second one is in my next door neighbour's house and is an RCD main switch as PD describes and didn't take a picture as I thought that would seem odd!