DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
ProDave

Earthing is optional

ProDave    1,742
ProDave

All 3 CPC's cut back and not terminated.

59b6b9e38e0d7_lightswitch.thumb.jpg.c82ea7765e1207dd1ca64aa0fa26c178.jpg

The annoying thing is I only popped the light switch off to help fish a new cable down the wall for a new heating system.

And yes it was feeding class 1 light fittings.

Sharpend    645
Sharpend

Oh Dave I don't believe that you're really that surprised anymore :C 

Murdoch    196
Murdoch

Classic signs of a DIY change to metal fittings ................ on an old install where the continuous CPC probably wasn't in the regs.

phil d    219
phil d

What, you mean that bare copper thing isn't just there to make stripping the cable easier?:slap

Doc Hudson    1,034
Doc Hudson
1 hour ago, phil d said:

What, you mean that bare copper thing isn't just there to make stripping the cable easier?:slap

Isn't it the cable equivalent of the key on the side of a corned beef tin?

Doc H.

ProDave    1,742
ProDave

If course I wasn't surprised. Very little surprises me now.

Ir was actually a very interesting house,  an old stone cottage converted in the 70's I would say. Dug out to form a semi basement to then gain enough height for rooms upstairs, lots of split levels, staircases going down then back up (why do I think of Fawlty Towers?)   It was probably an architects masterpiece and very contemporary in it's day, but that is where it still is, with a black, a blue and a green bathroom suite (3 different bathrooms) and looks like nothing has been updated whatsoever since it's conversion.  I loved the track lighting upstairs where the track went along the landing, through a notch in the wall and into the bedroom.

What DID surprise me is three CU's all original metal rewireable wylex (with plug in MCB's) but they all had an RCD main switch. Honestly the first time I have seen a rewireable with an RCD, did not even know it was possible.  Overhead TT supply which is again unusual for these parts.

Mostly R80 "downlighters" the GU10 of their day.

I was only there to wire the new heating system.

Andy™    2,116
Andy™

never seen a re-wireable with an RCD

Tony S    354
Tony S
2 hours ago, ProDave said:

What DID surprise me is three CU's all original metal rewireable wylex (with plug in MCB's) but they all had an RCD main switch. Honestly the first time I have seen a rewireable with an RCD, did not even know it was possible.  Overhead TT supply which is again unusual for these parts.

I hope it’s possible, that’s how I did my first house back in dark ages. TT OH supply, Crabtree 500mA RCD and a Wylex 3036 8 way board.

30mA RCD’s cost an arm and a leg. We had them at work where they were locked in a cage, to get one issued you had to sign in blood.

ProDave    1,742
ProDave
57 minutes ago, Andy™ said:

never seen a re-wireable with an RCD

If I have to go back, I will take a picture. I am not talking about an up front rcd before the 3036 board, but an rcd inside the board in place of the main switch.

Sidewinder    1,959
Sidewinder

I've never seen one either, but that would not be unusual.

I think that the old Wylex RCD' that fitted into like a REC 2 with end covers may have been the same footprint as the main switches?

Phoenix    100
Phoenix

In 10 years I have seen two boards like what is described, so realativly rare, one of them was actually a '16th edition' split board, but in the wylex standard range, don't think I have the pictures anymore, the second one is in my next door neighbour's house and is an RCD main switch as PD describes and didn't take a picture as I thought that would seem odd!

kerching    1,875
kerching

Never seen one...but I am fairly new to this:innocent

however I saw my first ever Wylex Extenso unit in the last couple of weeks....and it was metal. Wish I'd got a pick now...cannot remember where it was 

Andy™    2,116
Andy™
6 hours ago, kerching said:

cannot remember where it was 

next to the original?

kerching    1,875
kerching
6 hours ago, Andy™ said:

next to the original?

Correct....I bet you even know which side it was on :slap

i bet there are a lot of sparks who have never even seen those two extra little screws on the bus bar side, let alone known what they were for