EN 13849 course

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just in case it is of interest to anyone, I know that there is an EN 13849 course at Pilz in Corby planned for the 9th October, with a follow up on this & the PAScal software on the 12th October.

I am doing these because even though I've done this work many times, I don't have any formal qualifications, and there aren't many courses on this topic.

Also, if you have done this then you will know that to do the calculations and documentation longhand is tedious, with the libraries and support a software package gives you it is much easier, and, the presentation of the report to the end client is quite professional.

The courses doesn't yet have enough people to run I gather, so if anyone who is doing this work is interested get in touch with Pilz training and have a chat.

Anyone who is designing machinery safety circuits for new equipment, or, making modifications to existing machinery safety circuits must do these in accordance with the requirements of EN 13849-1 and validate them in accordance with EN 13849-2.

Just in the same way that modifications to existing wiring installations done under the 15th ed of the wiring regs are now required to be done to the current version of BS7671.

This is made clear in HSE guidance if you look.

Cost £275 per course

Pilz training site here:

https://www.pilz.com/en-GB/services/trainings/seminars

I've done these courses recently, I believe the course you're mentioning is C&G accredited (they certainly have one, I've done it). They also run a TUV certified one that runs a bit more in depth. 

The food they put on for lunch was pretty good. An they have a real fancy coffee machine, I was bouncing in my seat by the end of the day. 

My only disappointment with the initial (I'll call it taster) course is that it focused more on CE marking than actual safety design and architecture. 

For anyone thinking it's too far away, there is a hotel and restaurant next door to the training center, competitively priced and I'm sure you get a discount if you're enrolled on courses with Pilz. 

Edit: The C&G recognised course is the 4 day one. The CMSE course is also 4 days. I don't think I have done the one Sidewinder has mentioned. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done the CMSE Rob, the TUV Nord certified one.

I'm just want something 13849 specific.

The hotel and restaurant are fine, it's a Premier Inn, but it's new, and the food in the restaurant was very good.

When I did the CMSE I left the car in the hotel all the time I was there.

As Rob says, lunch is good, and yes the coffee machine is AWESOME!!!

I've done the CMSE Rob, the TUV Nord certified one.

I'm just want something 13849 specific.

The hotel and restaurant are fine, it's a Premier Inn, but it's new, and the food in the restaurant was very good.

When I did the CMSE I left the car in the hotel all the time I was there.

As Rob says, lunch is good, and yes the coffee machine is AWESOME!!!

Well if you can, let me know what you think of the course. 

Keep thinking we should be sending some of our sales guys down. The 4 day one is a bit OTT, when really they only need the overview and not to look stupid. Anything of any real technical questioning comes through to the engineering department anyway. 

We can do a one day seminar on machinery safety for the sales guys if you like? ;)

However, would you want it Machinery Directive/13849/62061 or Process & 61511?

There is a LOT to cover in a day mind, a series of 1 day seminars could be doable though, PUWER, CE, MD, 13849, 62061,  etc. etc.

Spread over a few months, done at yours it wouldn't be too much hassle for your people then?

A bit like INSET days for teachers, if any of them need CPD, it would go toward that too.

We can do a one day seminar on machinery safety for the sales guys if you like? ;)

However, would you want it Machinery Directive/13849/62061 or Process & 61511?

There is a LOT to cover in a day mind, a series of 1 day seminars could be doable though, PUWER, CE, MD, 13849, 62061,  etc. etc.

Spread over a few months, done at yours it wouldn't be too much hassle for your people then?

A bit like INSET days for teachers, if any of them need CPD, it would go toward that too.

I was wondering if it could be too much for them for one day... 

However it may if anything stop them coming to us with stupid enquiry's.

We could do the training (informal) in house, an we do offer it ourselves to companies. You know how it is though, training sessions never seem to have as much impact when it's a colleague in a familiar environment. Besides, we haven't the time.  

I was wondering if it could be too much for them for one day... 

However it may if anything stop them coming to us with stupid enquiry's.

We could do the training (informal) in house, an we do offer it ourselves to companies. You know how it is though, training sessions never seem to have as much impact when it's a colleague in a familiar environment. Besides, we haven't the time.  

I think it would be too much for anyone to do in a day, even to present the lot in a day is too much.

I totally agree that internal training can be less effective, but it is obviously cheaper.

Sometimes though, it is the only way, and it can work.

If you follow the link and register you can watch the webinar. It is just under 50 minutes long.

You also apparently get the link emailed to you anyway regardless.

Last edited by a moderator: