DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Evans Electric

Electrician's pay ?

Evans Electric    2,681
Evans Electric

I caught some of this on radio this morning  but didn't hear the follow up   or details.      Just wondering if anyone else heard it . 

Bricklayers on £1500   /week ..  .Plumbers  on  £2000 /week  ...and ELECTRICIANS  on  £3000   /week      due to shortage of skilled tradesmen .       

So where is that happening  ?       Thats nearly as much as  Stepps gets  :innocent

Sidewinder    1,959
Sidewinder

This is just nonsense Deke, Daily Mail and sensationalist journalism at its best/worst.

The large bodies corporate base their headcount on about £150k per head, I know because when I was last employed we lost a few contracts which came out at about £500k, when Rover went through, so we lost 4 bodies from the department, no options, get rid.

Blue Duck    562
Blue Duck

3k a week! :slap

@Canoeboy maybe but the rest of us... no chance! 

Tony S    354
Tony S

Bloody hell, it's worth coming out of retirement.

ProDave    1,742
ProDave

Up here, Plumbers definitely earn more.

Sidewinder    1,959
Sidewinder
1 hour ago, Blue Duck said:

3k a week! :slap

@Canoeboy maybe but the rest of us... no chance! 

Yeah EVERY week!

I've done £20k+ in a month, but the month before was virtually nothing it was spent planning & prepping for the work the following month, building bits, getting things ready etc.

It just so happens that all the jobs finish at the same time, and you get to invoice them all in one month.

Then that happens maybe once or twice a year, the rest of the year you are getting along on a few £k per month.

Blue Duck    562
Blue Duck

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4874400/Electricians-earning-156-000-year.html

(Beware click bait inside)

What a load of sensationalist carp, next they will be blaming the Polish for leaving.

£156k a year my fluffy arse, Im looking at paye jobs that are around £30k.

;

Edited by Blue Duck

Andy™    2,116
Andy™
1 minute ago, Sharpend said:

Based upon these sort of jobs, there seems to be more and more of these appearing these days ?? https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=f09c7872ee956888&from=serp 

why would you need to be NIC reg'd for an employed job?!

if you are earning £3k per week then thats £75 per hour on a 40 hour week.

Blue Duck    562
Blue Duck

Pimlico is a franchise and charge the customer a hell of a lot. 

Aspect have been advertising the same job for months now they are offering £60k for a multi trade electrician but youll never earn anywhere near that.

Murdoch    196
Murdoch
18 minutes ago, Andy™ said:

why would you need to be NIC reg'd for an employed job?!

if you are earning £3k per week then thats £75 per hour on a 40 hour week.

Maybe the article is quoting Emma Clancy's wages ...............

Evans Electric    2,681
Evans Electric
24 minutes ago, Sharpend said:

Based upon these sort of jobs, there seems to be more and more of these appearing these days ?? https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=f09c7872ee956888&from=serp 

Reading that job description  ........if you qualified for all that stuff ...........why would you want to go and work  ..(a)   In central London  and  (b)  work  for a plumbing company  when you are obviously self employed  (  Being registered with NICEIC ) 

poni    62
poni

i thought every one got £3000 a week 

Zeespark    129
Zeespark

I was reading up about the information a while back as to what the £150,000 covers. Its actually the gross profit a firm would need to make to be able to actually employ a full sparky, which when you add everything up, would tally to around £150K per year, so the Daily Mail either cant do their figures or live in a bubble. I could be completely barking though.

AndyGuinness

rapparee    136
rapparee

I made £2500 one week, I lost £830 in deductions, it was time to tone down the overtime.

pewter    125
pewter

I was at a customers, a bank bussiness manager, (so he should know figures).

Dude - 'I might retrain as a plumber, i cant beleive how much they earn'

Pewter - 'why is that?, how much was you charged for the work?'

Dude - '£700 plumber charged me for a days work'

Pewter - 'was there 2 of them?'

Dude - 'Yes'

Pewter - 'Did that include materials?'

Dude - 'Yes'

Pewter - 'My bussiness cost for each day i work (roughly 200 chargable days per year) as self employed spark is £25 + £25ish if i include van repayment'

Dude - 'Oh'

Pewter - 'so £700 - £200ish materials = £500 - £50 (van + bussiness fund) = £450 /2 = £225 for each plumber'

Pewter - 'did they do a long day?'

Dude - 'yeah long day'

Pewter - 'a long day for £225, self employed, no holiday or pension'

Pewter - 'do you still want to be a plumber or electrician?'

Dude - 'No'

Edited by pewter

Evans Electric    2,681
Evans Electric

That reminded me of a visit to our accountant  back in the day ............sitting in his office  dealing with us , he excused himself to take a brief phone call ....he listened for about 20 seconds  ,,said "Yes"  , rung off   and noted something in ledger .

My mate was watching  and said  "   You 've just made a note  on that guy's account to be  charged "  ??         " Well yes , he's just consulted me in my professional  capacity"   

The same man could not understand why we didn't / couldn't  charge for our estimates & quotations.            Which of us is the mug ?  

binky    762
binky

I'm beginning to think more like that, we have skills and knowledge that others don't. Why should we give that away for free? I stopped doing extensive written quotes years ago after finding out people were using them to do the work themselves or get a.n.other to undercut prices.

phil d    219
phil d

I remember many years ago, I was earning £7.50 an hour at the time, I had a run in with the revenue, trying to accuse me of not paying the correct tax, they reckoned the average spark was on £35k a year!

My old chap was always going on about us sparks being elitist and how there had been a massive row at his firm when it came out that the sparks were on about £1.50 an hour more than anyone else, he was really winding me up.

I showed him some of the calculations we sometimes have to do, and explained how in our job more so than a lot of others, if it went wrong someone could get badly hurt or killed, and that when there was an incident involving electricity, it usually ended with a game, rightly or wrongly of "pin the blame on the sparky".

He sat quietly for a while, taking in what I had told him, looking at the calculations I'd done, and the other figures, cost of test gear etc, then "you know son, I wouldn't have your job for a gold clock, you don't get paid enough for all the aggro and responsibility"

Hallelujah, he'd finally seen the light!

I don't think people do understand our job, lets be honest, when you are green and starting out you sit down and calculate cable sizes for different things, a shower for example, 9.5 Kw, length of run 20 mtrs, trunked up a wall, part of it covered with insulation, you get your book out, work it out and off you go. A few years down the line and all this is in your head, experience, you now look at an Identical job and you just know what size cable to use. Even if you do get a job where you need to sit down and work it out, the client never sees this bit, you roll up, throw a cable in, connect it and hey presto, it just works, it's easy!

A lot of the time the client only realises how complex certain parts of our job can be is when they've tried to do it themselves and it goes wrong.

There's a lot of myths and rumour spread about how easy we have it, you only have to look at the adverts in the papers from the training centre's, "you could earn upwards of £60k a year, simply by training to be an electrician at one of our training centres"

They never mention struggling to find work, or working in a loft in the middle of a hot summer, or outside on a cold rainy winters day, or getting called out at daft o'clock in the morning to a breakdown that could have waited until the following day! NO! electricians are paid very handsomely for doing easy jobs, they all drive new vehicles, go to work in smart overalls and come home as clean as they were when they left home that morning.

Please can somebody tell me where this electricians eutopia is please, I'd really like to live and work there.

Andy™    2,116
Andy™
6 hours ago, binky said:

I'm beginning to think more like that, we have skills and knowledge that others don't. Why should we give that away for free? I stopped doing extensive written quotes years ago after finding out people were using them to do the work themselves or get a.n.other to undercut prices.

same here. i dont give quotes, estimates only

phil d    219
phil d
9 minutes ago, Andy™ said:

Oh yes the itemised quote, or as we know it, "I think I know how to do the job, but I,m not sure what bit's to buy, but you'll solve that by providing me with an itemised quote", maybe they'd like a set of written instructions too!

Not too long ago we were pricing jobs for a firm and not getting any of them, it turned out a certain person was passing the quotes to a friend, (no doubt for a backhander) who was incapable of working the job out properly, he was shaving a bit off our quote, and getting the work. The big one came when we lost a job to someone who'd quoted a different spec! We were asked to quote for a job using a certain type of light fitting, the bill for the lights alone was 5K, we could have shaved 4K off using an identical fitting made by a different firm, but no it had to be using kit as specified.

We didn't get the job, then found out that the person who did get it was using the cheaper fittings we'd been told we couldn't use!

Andy™    2,116
Andy™

someone i work with had problems of not getting the job... so he put some slightly different details on the spec... A N other then arrived with the wrong size shutter / door etc...

Evans Electric    2,681
Evans Electric
4 hours ago, Andy™ said:

Same here  Andy .

Phrases such as :-

" Our price to adequately light your workshop would be ........."

or..

"  Having checked the power requirements of your proposed new machine ,  our quotation to install a suitable electric supply would be ...."

phil d    219
phil d

Where I used to live we had a lot of people who predominately owned corner shops, they'd want house rewires done, as always as cheap as possible. They'd insist on paying you in 2 parts, 1st fix, then 2nd fix, only trouble was you didn't get called back  to do the second fix a lot of the time. You'd ring them and they'd make excuses as to why it wasn't ready, then a few weeks later someone would be living in it.

Now this started to annoy me, I like people to be open about things, I also like to finish a job, now if they'd said they just wanted a 1st fix I'd have done it but charged a bit more. One day I was doing this house for one of them and decided to leave a little surprise, call it teaching someone a lesson. I wired everything as normal, however I left the 2 legs of the ring under the floor open, basically they came from the mains, up under the bedroom floor and ran into a couple of JB's, the other sides from the sockets were left alongside them, I also left a missing cable on a lighting circuit.

Several weeks later this guy rings me back to tell me his sockets don't work and neither do half of his upstairs lights! I said I was surprised that anything worked, considering that there was no CU or accessories fitted, at this point he blustered on about how a friend had offered to help him by finishing off the rewire, he made some excuse as to why he'd let him do it.

I pointed out that if his "friend" had done the proper tests, then he'd have realised there was an issue before powering up!

I went down and it was all complete, expensive carpets down, fully furnished, etc, I took great delight in making them empty an entire room so I could lift a floorboard at one edge, lol. I took even greater pleasure in massively overcharging him to locate and correct the "fault". Funnily enough they never bothered ringing me again, happy days.

Murdoch    196
Murdoch
19 hours ago, Andy™ said:

Agree. I list the deliverables that they will see but never list or separate out the parts....