DONT STAY LURKING AS A GUEST,

JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
Evans Electric

Electrician's pay ?

Sharpend    645
Sharpend

Why would you supply a list of parts in first place? 

All the customer needs to know is that you understand what it is they want, so a repeat back to them of the works to be done is sufficient followed by the important part - the total cost! 

Adam W    15
Adam W

Callout including the first hour: £75

The working day is 9 to 5 so 8 hours in a day: 75x8= £600 per day

5 days in the working week so 5x600= £3000 per week

52 weeks in the year so 52x3000= £156 000 per year.

This doesn't account for:

Jobs lasting longer than an hour,

Travelling time,

Holiday,

Any gaps (of even a minute) between jobs,

Business expenses,

Tax.

The guy has done his sums wrong.

rapparee    136
rapparee
7 hours ago, Sharpend said:

All the customer needs to know is that you understand what it is they want, so a repeat back to them of the works to be done is sufficient followed by the important part - the total cost! 

Exactly, two lines to the quote, one for materials, the other for labour.

Murdoch    196
Murdoch
8 minutes ago, rapparee said:

Exactly, two lines to the quote, one for materials, the other for labour.

Disagree

1 line describing what you are providing

1 line giving the total.

binky    762
binky

I don't separate parts and labour either, it's a price for the job and an outline description of works. Perhaps with mention of specific parts where appropriate, such as top notch expensive gear.

ProDave    1,742
ProDave

I do a few new builds for the owners. I do labour only, I list the materials and the customer buys them.  This is because I am not VAT registered so I have no choice but pay VAT on materials and pass that on.  A new house should be VAT exempt so getting the owner to buy the parts enables him to reclaim the VAT at the end of the build.

binky    762
binky

I've found customers will quibble labour but not parts, so I dislike listing labour separately. I am also VAT registered, so I can claim back VAT on new builds, which covers the extra bits and pieces I always seem to end up doing not included in the original price.

Doc Hudson    1,034
Doc Hudson

Just

9 hours ago, Sharpend said:

An accurate list of all parts, (including boxes/fixings/connectors/sleeve etc) would actually be a long list on anything but the smallest of jobs. You'd need to add extra labour just for the time writing the list. In my mind an "itemised" quote (or estimate) is a brief description of the work to be done, A total of the material costs and labour costs and Gross total. Then any payment terms, timescales penalties etc. No list of actual materials, unless as has be mentioned, there is some special order, high cost item that cannot be canceled or exchanged without penalty.

Out of interest, if anyone is on the other side of the transaction, purchasing some goods or services (e.g. car service or repair), how many here would just accept a single figure quote or invoice that does not itemise the labour and materials costs? Personally I wouldn't use or go back to any business that wont give a reasonable break down of its charges. A single figure bill with no basic cost breakdown explanation gives a bit of a cowboy'ish image in my opinion. 

Doc H. 

Evans Electric    2,681
Evans Electric

No Doc , the point is  you are giving away information that can be used by  someone who  is incapable of quoting , or working out cable sizes /  how many circuits etc.  

Win the job .....THEN  ..submit a quote listing how many points , fans, light fittings supplied  or not , testing & notified. 

Even then I don't breakdown the cost to show labour  & materials .      I make a point of showing that the work will be tested , certified  &  Building Control notified  ....I hear many tales of jobs completed , sparks paid up  then it transpires he can't sign it off,    but by then he's galloped off into the sunset. 

Sharpend    645
Sharpend

Have you not noticed that many places will give you a quote often without a written copy or breakdown until they have done the job,  then you receive the invoice with breakdown. Why should we be any different? 

binky    762
binky

something to do with 'doorstep selling' legislation. No domestic job should be done without a contract in place and 10 day cooling off period apart from emergency works.

Sharpend    645
Sharpend

Yes binks but realistically how many door step sellers really abide by this and how many customers really know about this?

ProDave    1,742
ProDave
22 minutes ago, binky said:

something to do with 'doorstep selling' legislation. No domestic job should be done without a contract in place and 10 day cooling off period apart from emergency works.

We have discussed this before. Has anyone ever failed to get payment because the customer said they didn't have a written quote and has "changed their mind"? We know in theory it could happen, but has anyone experienced it?

When I get work done on my car, it always itemises the parts cost and labour, but not in detail, e.g lists "brake pads" without giving an exact part number.

If asked for an estimate I will list parts, but I won't "give away" the design, e.g I don't say "10mm t&e for shower, 6mm t&e for cooker" I just say "cable"

Edited by ProDave

phil d    219
phil d
3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

We have discussed this before. Ha anyone ever failed to get payment because the customer said they didn't have a written quote and has "changed their mind"? We know in theory it could happen, but has anyone experienced it?

When I get work done on my car, it always itemised the parts cost and labour, but nor in detail, e.g lists "brale pads" without giving an exact part number.

If asked for an estimate I will list parts, but I won't "give away" the design, e.g I don't say "10mm t&e for shower, 6mm t&e for cooker" I just say "cable"

My car repair bills are easy something like this

Replace front disc pads on Citroen Xsara Picasso

1 set pads                          £20.00

1 pack 20 cigs                  £7.65

4 cans Guinness                  £ 5.00

Swearing and cursing        FOC

Total cost £ 32.65

What? A bloke has to have some pleasure when repairing his own car, and I know it's done properly.lol

rapparee    136
rapparee
18 hours ago, Doc Hudson said:

Out of interest, if anyone is on the other side of the transaction, purchasing some goods or services (e.g. car service or repair), how many here would just accept a single figure quote or invoice that does not itemise the labour and materials costs? 

I always get the two separate. I deal with lots of contractors, they always quote me parts and labour.

It could be painters, forklift mechanics, gas engineers, CCTV installers, robot programmers and a whole lot more. 

Sharpend    645
Sharpend

Why do we question so much??

What does it really matter whether they give you one figure or a breakdown with many figures that add up to the one figure, the fact is you are either happy with the price or not! 

Who's to say the breakdown is an honest breakdown anyway? Ok so those of us in a trade may be a little more wise on pricing and or products from other trades but to the average person who knows no different would a breakdown really make much difference? They are not going to pay for some of the individual items and expect the full job are they? 

pewter    125
pewter

Did a consumer unit for friend of family,

Lady- how much for a new consumer unit

Pewter - £350 parts and labour

Lady - I have seen them in BQ for £40, thats a good days wage

Pewter - Metal unit £90, tails + earth £30, Cable entry gland £10, stuffing glands £10,Earth block £5 BC notification and insurance £5 =£150 materials total

Lady - oh i didnt realise.

Some times i list a ton of stuff and a total just so they are aware im using good gear, what there is, and that i am upgrading what is worth changing.

Murdoch    196
Murdoch
8 hours ago, pewter said:

Did a consumer unit for friend of family,

Lady- how much for a new consumer unit

Pewter - £350 parts and labour

Lady - I have seen them in BQ for £40, thats a good days wage

Pewter - Metal unit £90, tails + earth £30, Cable entry gland £10, stuffing glands £10,Earth block £5 BC notification and insurance £5 =£150 materials total

Lady - oh i didnt realise.

Some times i list a ton of stuff and a total just so they are aware im using good gear, what there is, and that i am upgrading what is worth changing.

Its like those misleading adverts for bathrooms and kitchens from the sheds - buy a new kitchen for £xxxx.xx - but no labour, no plastering, no electrics, no tiles or tiling, no flooring, no painting, no skip, .......................

Lurch    521
Lurch
32 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Its like those misleading adverts for bathrooms and kitchens from the sheds - buy a new kitchen for £xxxx.xx - but no labour, no plastering, no electrics, no tiles or tiling, no flooring, no painting, no skip, .......................

Then you get the Thursday afternoon phone call - "I've got a kitchen being delivered Monday and the flooring guy is here Tuesday so can you just ........."

Andy™    2,116
Andy™

bit like wednesdays, need a power shower connected, bathroom fitters sparky has let them down. it wont take long. er... 10.8kw electric shower, complete new circuit from other side of house, cant fit into existing CU so need to split tails & fit mini CU.... on the plus side, plumber has left a bit rope from shower into loft...

ProDave    1,742
ProDave
11 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Then you get the Thursday afternoon phone call - "I've got a kitchen being delivered Monday and the flooring guy is here Tuesday so can you just ........."

I had one of those recently.

"the other electrician is off sick, the kitchen needs rewiring before the floor goes back down tomorrow"

Lurch    521
Lurch
2 minutes ago, Andy™ said:

10.8kw electric shower, complete new circuit from other side of house, cant fit into existing CU so need to split tails & fit mini CU

For some reason I keep recommending CU upgrades instead. Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and do it like this?

Edited by Lurch
Shut up.

Andy™    2,116
Andy™

existing is fine, just no space left. if it was an old 3036 board then id recommend replaceing it at the same time

binky    762
binky
On 9/15/2017 at 08:44, Sharpend said:

Yes binks but realistically how many door step sellers really abide by this and how many customers really know about this?

scam merchants -  very few, customers - not that many, apart from those who don't like paying bills who then use it as an excuse for not paying or offer half the money