Spot light help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becki

Reaction score
Hi, can someone help. I have moved house and want spot lights , enlite I am going to buy however how many per room

lounge 5.7m x 3.9m

bedroom 3.2m x3.1m

bedroom 3.9m x 3.5

help appreciated 

your electrician would be able to work out how many per room you will need when he comes to install them for you, i guess youve got an electrician coming out, or are you installing these spots yourself a word of warning if you dont know much about the electricity then you would be better employing an electrician  to sort these lights out for you. regards colin.

Hi, can someone help. I have moved house and want spot lights , enlite I am going to buy however how many per room

lounge 5.7m x 3.9m

bedroom 3.2m x3.1m

bedroom 3.9m x 3.5

help appreciated 

Not all light are of the same brightness  (lumens)

and they can have different beam angles..  (how wide  the light is output)

The ceiling height also has an impact on the light at floor or table level..

layout and access between floors / loft void has a big impact on what you can install that looks neat..

not to sparse or overcrowded...

Bit hard to guess from just a few measurements...

:C

Dependent on joist layout Becki, and whether you have plaster board or lathe and plaster ceilings, you might be looking at 12 for your lounge, 4 for the first bedroom and nine for the last bedroom.

Andy Guinness

blimey, the 3rd bedroom's going to be bright!

OP - there are different output types too, and this has a bearing on the brightness and colour too!

You say you have moved house, but if you have moved into a flat, and there is another flat upstairs, you will need to fit fire rated downlighters

Do u think spot lights and a centre light? 

500 lumen is what I have

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on what kind of effect you want - some people like a downlighter in each corner, which will leave the centre of the room a bit dark, some people like well defined pools of light in the floor, if you want to use them to light the whole room you'll either need high ceilings, wide angle spots or to have them close together.   Either way a spotlight is going to give a defined light and defined shadows which can be quite unflattering as opposed to a softer light source or reflected light such as a centre pendant, wall lights or table lamps.  Alternatively you could use them to pick out features, such as in front of the curtains.

Personally I would use more than one type of light source such as downlighters and table lamps, downlighters and wall lights, or a centre light and table lamps, but this isn't my house we're talking about.

i find 500 lumin lights are usually good to cover 1.5M radius without a problem.

So your room of 3.9M X 3.5M  i would install 4 fittings with 5-600 lumin output

Would u have a centre light aswell 
usually people do not have the centre light, just downlights.

Although in kitchens i often install down lights and pendant lights over the breakfast bar and tables. This is so when eating the bright downlights can be turned off and the pendant light on to create a different mood/effect.

If its your house you can have whatever you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't under estimate the job of fitting them, lifting floor boards above to drill the joists etc.

If it's laminate flooring above I walk away.

Don't under estimate the job of fitting them, lifting floor boards above to drill the joists etc.

If it's laminate flooring above I walk away.

Why ..... its not difficult to cut more holes in the ceiling and a decent plasterer won't charge too much ........................

As this is DIY I wonder if the OP has considered how the cables will get between the lights?

Why ..... its not difficult to cut more holes in the ceiling and a decent plasterer won't charge too much ........................
When the customer just wants downlights without having to re lay the laminate floor in the room above and without needing a plasterer?

When the customer just wants downlights without having to re lay the laminate floor in the room above and without needing a plasterer?

Then you explain to the customer that this is an impossible task.

I work with someone else who does this to me a lot, tells me the customers won't pay/don't want the work doing. How do you know, have you even asked? Tell them they need to get a carp[enter/plasterer in if they want it doing. I don't see why you would walk away just because the job isn't simple.

I walk away because I can't be bothered with jobs that are a lot of hassle for little money.

I was asked to quote to put 2 wall lights in 2 alcoves. I was presented with a freshly decorated living room with new carpet, new wallpaper (brick walls directly plastered).  Then I started listing what needs to be done, chase walls, re plaster, redecorate, probably lift the new carpet to protect it, floorboards up in the room above etc. The customer then said "you don't want the job then?" :C

I walk away because I can't be bothered with jobs that are a lot of hassle for little money.

I was asked to quote to put 2 wall lights in 2 alcoves. I was presented with a freshly decorated living room with new carpet, new wallpaper (brick walls directly plastered).  Then I started listing what needs to be done, chase walls, re plaster, redecorate, probably lift the new carpet to protect it, floorboards up in the room above etc. The customer then said "you don't want the job then?" :C
He couldnt handle the truth.

I get this and often give a crazy price to cover just like Dave did, then sometimes they say, 'fantastic, when can you start?'