Wiring zones

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revor

Reaction score
I need to run a cable from inside to outside but have an 800 mm stone wall to go through. However the doorway would provide a good route. The doorway entrance is 800 mm deep from in to out and its "ceiling" is 2250 mm above floor level. If I run the cable at the top of this wall i.e within 150 mm of the junction of the top of this wall and its "ceiling" would this comply with 522.6.202 i of the regs.

Thank you

Thanks for the replies but it would be easier to go via the top of the door frame light. I have a set of long drills and tried previously to go through these walls {stone and rubble filled) and it is virtually impossible. You start off ok then hit something really hard or skate off in a direction you don't want to end up at. Just wanted members views on whether my interpretation of the regs in this situation was correct.  It Is after all a junction between a wall and a ceiling. I was looking at it as a short corridor if you like.

If I wanted it where I wanted it and the rubble kept blocking the hole then I'd drill it at around 22 mm and it would go through, I've seen it done. Get a length of 20 mm conduit and a short 22 mm drill bit, cut the drill and weld each piece to the ends of the conduit, drill the hole then chop the conduit level with the wall, and there you have it, a hole with a liner already in place.

Drill the wall with a long drill bit and leave it in place once you break through take the machine off the bit then place a piece of  metal conduit over the sds end of the bit and knock it through the wall. the conduit follows the drill bit and leaves a sleeve in the wall. Depending how many cables you are trying to get through you can do it with a core bit and extensions and 32 or 40mm waste pipe