Dexion ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone still use this product ?   We used to use loads of it  but not seen any for a few years now  .

According to Wiki "The original UK-based Dexion Ltd manufacturing company spawned several subsidiaries before eventually ceasing trading in 2003". Also the early prototype 'big - boys - Meccano' was manufactured in your neighborhood.  "In 1939 he commissioned Birmingham-based Accles & Pollock to manufacture an initial batch of angled sections made of steel with slots cut down one side and a long groove cut down the other."  Possibly two reasons why you haven't seen it so much and you used to use loads of it?    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexion

Doc H.

an apprentice cutting loads of it for switchboard frames..
Thats it Kerch ...same here .     A bit earlier we made frames from "proper" angle iron  & welded the butt joints ...then two coats of red oxide paint  until  Dexion  & "Handy Angle"  came on the scene , ready slotted,  already painted, with corner plates etc & a big bag of nuts  & bolts.      As The Doc says , just like a giant Meccano set.

I have now conjured up  the memory of  being told to cut a letterbox type slot in panels , BB chambers, fuseboards etc  by drilling a 3/4" hole then sawing away with a hacksaw blade  with rag wrapped around it ..........probably 2 hours to cut a slot .

Trouble is today the art of fabricating something on site, or repairing something that's broken seems to have been lost, back street mechanicing I suppose you'd call it.We got a new lad at my mates farm, he had this attitude that anything that broke should just be replaced, don't attempt to fix it. Yeah right, obviously he'd never tried getting a part for a tractor or a combine at 3am, when you've got half a field to get the crop off, and the forecast is for heavy rain before 9 am!

It's surprising what you can make if you think about it, a mate of mine has a brother who runs a day nursery and wanted a pram store, my mate made a cracker using plastic sheet for the roof and the frame out of Unistrut, it has rails so the prams can be hung up rather than just stood on the floor, more storage, less space used, and it cost a lot less than buying something purpose made.

I've got loads of it, seem to have hundreds of uprights and not many shelves though.

Looks a bit tatty now, most of it has been replaced with nice new boltless stuff.

I have now conjured up  the memory of  being told to cut a letterbox type slot in panels , BB chambers, fuseboards etc  by drilling a 3/4" hole then sawing away with a hacksaw blade  with rag wrapped around it ..........probably 2 hours to cut a slot .
I feel your pain.....after years of doing as yow did I progressed to one of these

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

And later on to the MKIII version

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

BUT a cordless jigsaw is a lot easier :slap