Motivator stair lift

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To quote Commandant Lassard "there are many many " switches and limit stops on chair lifts . If you are not familier with them you are on a hiding to nowt.

Models vary as has been said.

Hum. My late mum had a stair lift. Very expensive engineers!
Trouble is these people are not Engineers!!!

They think that they are, and they charge like they are, but they are just sparks who have done different courses, they are certainly not Engineers!

(In general, some may be, but have chosen a different route.)

quite often, they are not sparks who have done a different course. often just a random person who has done  short course on a specific manufacturers stuff
Ok, fair cop Andy, however, how can their employers justify that they are competent to undertake electrical work, if they are not qualified electricians?

No short course equips someone to deal with every eventuality that could be found in even just a domestic electrical installation.

However, the LAW requires that they are competent, if they don't have the underpinning knowledge and the experience how can they be competent in the eyes of the law?

Ok, fair cop Andy, however, how can their employers justify that they are competent to undertake electrical work, if they are not qualified electricians?
because most plug into  a socket and all motors etc etc are 12v.

Stair lifts are a 'closed shop' ie complete stitch up rip off, as I found out a few years ago when I purchased an excellent condition second had lift from a friend and needed a longer length of rail for my parents house. It needs referring to monopolies commission.

No short course equips someone to deal with every eventuality that could be found in even just a domestic electrical installation.

However, the LAW requires that they are competent, if they don't have the underpinning knowledge and the experience how can they be competent in the eyes of the law?
Good point! Last year I went to a house, as a favour for someone, as I generally try and avoid domestic, anyway the electrics kept tripping, it turned out a lot of the place was still wired in the old VIR! They had a stairlift, fed from a fused spur on the landing, the feed to spur went into the loft in mini trunking, the pvc twin and earth was attached to the ring main via a joint box, the ring main was brittle old VIR.

At which point was connecting this either,

A) compliant with regs

B) good practice

or was it more like  C) lash it in, take the money and leg it!

I think the competency bit is the issue here, earlier this year, my wife decided to redecorate  the lounge, I was out at the time. She want's to remove a socket to wallpaper, so, she gets the toolbox out, plugs a socket tester into the socket and it's live, she then goes to the CU and locates the breaker for that circuit and isolates it, checks socket is now dead and removes it. After wallpapering she refits socket, resets breaker and tests socket with tester, all good, job done.

Now she was in the house alone, and nobody was going to come in, but I did wind her up by telling her she should have used a lockout and warning notice, lol.However she'd done the job perfectly fine, so technically you could argue that she's competent to replace a socket front, however would I trust her doing it at work? no!

To me this competency thing is all to often used as a way of saving money with little thought for safety.

Latest posts