NSI Approval

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is anyone NSI Approved?

We are looking to become Silver approved but can't really make end nor tail of what it required.

I'm thinking @Lurch is the man for this one, but all are welcome to join in ;)

looked at it / ssaib but just like the scams couldnt justify it. and just like the scams, almost no one knows about it

Got a load of jobs coming up that will justify it. It has been asked for and it looks cheaper to get it than to sub it out. From what we can see so faar anyway ;)

SSAIB is like Stroma, NSI is like how NICEIC used to be.

It's all about the paperwork. SSAIB is pretty contractor friendly and will help you through the process. NSI will take your money and really drag you over the coals and make sure all the T's are dotted etc. They are pretty ruthless, but if you already have everything in place there shouldn't really be any issues. TBH I haven't looked at either for a while, a lot of the companies I deal with have relaxed the rule about membership so I haven't bothered for a few years. If there is a contract worth being registered for then it's probably worth spending the time getting everything in place from the outset, there's a lot of automation/software about nowadays that would do most of what is required.

SSAIB is like Stroma, NSI is like how NICEIC used to be.

It's all about the paperwork. SSAIB is pretty contractor friendly and will help you through the process. NSI will take your money and really drag you over the coals and make sure all the T's are dotted etc. They are pretty ruthless, but if you already have everything in place there shouldn't really be any issues. TBH I haven't looked at either for a while, a lot of the companies I deal with have relaxed the rule about membership so I haven't bothered for a few years. If there is a contract worth being registered for then it's probably worth spending the time getting everything in place from the outset, there's a lot of automation/software about nowadays that would do most of what is required.

Any recommendations for the sorftware?

Also, what quals will be needed?

Cheers

Any recommendations for the sorftware?

All depends what you want to do exactly. There used to be Alarm Master (expensive) and KISS (cheap) and everything else was poor. Nowadays there are that many choices and directions it's a bit of a minefield. I have mentioned before that I use Quickfile, and while this is primarily accounting/bookkeeping software it does have all of the bits I need for alarm customer management (quote management, RI reminders, scheduled payments/contracts etc). There are similar packages around and they could probably be utilised in the same sort of way, main thing is customer database and maintenance records, and Quickfile has the advantage of having a fairly decent document manager too so it is relatively easy to keep all documents digitally and assigned to the relevant customers/invoices etc.

Also, what quals will be needed?

Not sure, they seem to keep the requirements a bit of a secret nowadays. From what I remember the requirements were more about the procedures/documents/customer records than qualifications as such. Looks like they assess on some fairly specific roles/disciplines now so I'd imagine they will have slightly different requirements depending exactly what you are applying for.

:innocent

I've been busy!

Cheers @Lurch

It's basically a new build site that requires systems installed and certified by NSI approved (Gold or Silver), so we are just trying to get Systems Silver for now. Going to give them a call, probably mondy now as stacked out tomorrow. As you say it seems very secret society.

From what I can gather PD6662 is the standard to scratch up on. Seems it the UK's variant covering EN50131. Other than that it's a case of knowing what docs they expect you to keep. Surprisingly enough NSi hold a course on the subject and offer a template operations manual..... for a fee of course. It's like, well you have to meet our standards, but we arn't going to tell you what that is, you have to guess and keep paying assessment fees until you get it right or pay for us to tell you.

From what I can gather PD6662 is the standard to scratch up on.

Pretty much. Is this new build domestic? Can't see there being any issues really, literally nothing non-standard needs doing to comply with PD6662 on most jobs. Only really needs anything thinking about on commercial jobs and even then most would comply 'out of the box' (single entry point, CIE on protected side etc).

Surprisingly enough NSi hold a course on the subject and offer a template operations manual..... for a fee of course. It's like, well you have to meet our standards, but we arn't going to tell you what that is, you have to guess and keep paying assessment fees until you get it right or pay for us to tell you.

They used to be like this years ago, but they seem to be even worse now. I'd still only join NSI if the entire project depended on it. SSAIB would still be the sensible option if you want to just get on with the job rather than spending most of your time wading through reams of mildly relevant paperwork.

Pretty much. Is this new build domestic? Can't see there being any issues really, literally nothing non-standard needs doing to comply with PD6662 on most jobs. Only really needs anything thinking about on commercial jobs and even then most would comply 'out of the box' (single entry point, CIE on protected side etc).

They used to be like this years ago, but they seem to be even worse now. I'd still only join NSI if the entire project depended on it. SSAIB would still be the sensible option if you want to just get on with the job rather than spending most of your time wading through reams of mildly relevant paperwork.

Yes it's domestic, but a good few of them hance the viability. I believe they require the NSI approval so the new owners / tenants get a 'discount' on their house insurance. I think the is a fad on their behalf to be honest. There is no mention of maint contracts fr example and my understanding is that insurnace on take any notice IF it is installed AND maintained by an approved company.

From what I have read so far, the min grade to hit for insurance is 2x. That's the specced Veritas R8 (not by me) panels out the window then, lol.

Min R8 Plus for grade 2, I would prefer Elite 24, see what happens

Will ask them about SSAIB, I did mention it to them before as I was always on the understanding it was easier too. It was brushed off then, maybe it will be considered now.

Cheers

sounds like someone at the insurance co has heard of NSI and demanding everyone be with them, just like someone had heard of NIC and decided everyone should be with them, ignoring the others or the fact there is no legal requirement anyway

really, the only thing you need to be registered for is to get a police URN for monitoring

Yes it's domestic, but a good few of them hance the viability. I believe they require the NSI approval so the new owners / tenants get a 'discount' on their house insurance. I think the is a fad on their behalf to be honest. There is no mention of maint contracts fr example and my understanding is that insurnace on take any notice IF it is installed AND maintained by an approved company.

From what I have read so far, the min grade to hit for insurance is 2x.

This is such a grey area nowadays, I have several systems on maintenance monitored and the insurance company knows about them and whilst it isn't a blanket x% discount for an alarm type thing, it does get considered on the premium.

Simply saying 'NSI Silver alarm system' is somewhat meaningless. Chances are the insurance company will ask for maintenance records and that will be about it. NSI or SSAIB shouldn't make any difference for what they are wanting to achieve.

It's basically exactly the same as part p, makes no odds whether I am registered or not, the installation is still to the same standard and the relevant parties (insurance co/building control) still accept it. The NSI Silver requirement is nothing more than a box ticking exercise for whoever is putting the tenders out. It is easier fort them to simply say 'yes, they are NSI Silver' than it is to rigorously check your alarm installing skills. Technically it shouldn't matter if you are NICEIC AC & NSI Silver or Stroma & SSAIB, the end result is the same.

From what I have read so far, the min grade to hit for insurance is 2x. That's the specced Veritas R8 (not by me) panels out the window then, lol.

Yeah, pretty much any professionally installed system can be 2X with no hassle, and the R8 is 2X AFAIAA. But I'm not a Texecom fan, wasn't happy with the quality of the assembly so stopped using them about 6 years ago. Bought an R8 the other day (in Doncaster as it happens) and the same faults/mistakes were evident still, so they basically don't care.