Timer Switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope someone can help.

Does anyone know of a timer switch (for underfloor heating) that has a timed override function, (ideally 1 touch to keep it simple). I have a customer with a large house that's rented as a holiday let, there are existing individually controlled zones that are timed but they want their customers to be able to simply switch the floor on for say 1 hour outside of the timed on/off periods and not leave the heating on all day when the house is empty.

I've had a search online but drawn a blank.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

John.

most central heating timers have a 1 hour "boost" facility, although I suspect they may not handle the current needed for UFH it's a fairly simple matter for an electrician to link one to a contactor (relay) to allow it to do what you want, however there may be a specific timer for UFH with the boost on it, it's not something I work on, google is your friend here.

https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/horstmann-e30-boost-timer-p-258.html

this may help

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I have considered the relay option but trying to avoid additional kit. A direct replacement would be preferred using the single gang flush box. I'm surprised there is no 1hr boost option but I can't see one!

I'll check the link - Thanks V. Much

Cheers

John.

I am not convinced the logic of having a 1hr boost on UFH is that practical. UFH is not like a central heating radiator & boiler system. As general rule UFH is a 'slow' heat process, gradually bringing the floor up to temperature, then just maintaining that temperature over the desired period of time. I think a more accurate description could be underfloor warming rather than heating. If it was 'cold' and you had just come in, then pressed a 1hour boost, its quite possible you would hardly see/feel much benefit at all. Which may be why you don't get that option on a standard UFH controllers?

Doc H.  

I am not convinced the logic of having a 1hr boost on UFH is that practical. UFH is not like a central heating radiator & boiler system. As general rule UFH is a 'slow' heat process, gradually bringing the floor up to temperature, then just maintaining that temperature over the desired period of time. I think a more accurate description could be underfloor warming rather than heating. If it was 'cold' and you had just come in, then pressed a 1hour boost, its quite possible you would hardly see/feel much benefit at all. Which may be why you don't get that option on a standard UFH controllers?

Doc H.  
Hi Doc,

Yeah get your point, warming is deffinately a better description! Her property is a 5 star top notch house in a beautiful setting looking out across the Brecon Beacons, and as such her customers pay top dollar. All bathrooms and kitchen has underfloor heating although only the downstairs  is water. Despite this, they don't make a fortune and are environmentaly concious unlike many of their punters lol. As such they're exploring ways to be more efficient.

Thanks for your interestate. 

Cheers

John.

Hi Doc,

Yeah get your point, warming is deffinately a better description! Her property is a 5 star top notch house in a beautiful setting looking out across the Brecon Beacons, and as such her customers pay top dollar. All bathrooms and kitchen has underfloor heating although only the downstairs  is water. Despite this, they don't make a fortune and are environmentaly concious unlike many of their punters lol. As such they're exploring ways to be more efficient.

Thanks for your interestate. 

Cheers

John.

I may be wrong, but I got the impression that UFH was more economical to be kept running at a low temperate, (but I don't know any actual running cost figures to support my impression), rather than turning fully off, to then start bringing back up to temperature from a much colder level. They normally have the two thermostats, (floor & room) and a minimum temp to keep the floor at even when the building is empty. However I would think a better solution to your problem may be a smart-phone connected type thermostat. So if your owner knows the guests are out, a quick check on the phone can adjust the heating.

https://www.heatmiser.com/en/2016/02/26/why-a-smart-thermostat-makes-sense-for-electric-floor-heating/

Doc H.

I may be wrong, but I got the impression that UFH was more economical to be kept running at a low temperate, (but I don't know any actual running cost figures to support my impression), rather than turning fully off, to then start bringing back up to temperature from a much colder level. They normally have the two thermostats, (floor & room) and a minimum temp to keep the floor at even when the building is empty. However I would think a better solution to your problem may be a smart-phone connected type thermostat. So if your owner knows they guests are out, a quick check on the phone can adjust the heating.

https://www.heatmiser.com/en/2016/02/26/why-a-smart-thermostat-makes-sense-for-electric-floor-heating/

Doc H.
TBH I thought the same, something always uses more energy to warm up from cold, and potentially with UFH, it could just be warming up by the time you are going out.

I think it's all very well wanting to save cash and be environmentally friendly, but look at all this daft stuff with reducing power on kettles and such. If it takes 2 minutes to boil water with a 3Kw kettle then it's going to take twice as long with a 1.5 Kw kettle, so in actual fact you still use as much energy, still cost as much, it just takes longer to get your brew.

When that ruling came in on vacuum cleaners the other week (limiting the power) there was a bloke on tv and he was arguing that a lower powered vac, takes longer to clean with so uses more energy, which in turn costs more, the guy he was talking to just didn't get it, obviously he's never tried hoovering dog hair out of a carpet with a 600W machine.

Ufh will not heat the room, it is about providing an ambient temperature, hence why it takes hours to notice a change in temp when you adjust it. Turning it off is just a complete waste of energy. 

The general advice is to set the temperature high and leave for a few hours once temperature reached you lower it by 1degree, leaving enough time for it to take effect, until you reach a temperature that is comfortable. 

It is recommended that at most you lower the temp overnight by only a degree or two for maybe four-five hours depending on how long you sleep. 

Trying to get a boost is a non starter. The best is a programmable stat or web based stat as shown by Doc. If you want instant change in heating then put in a conventional boiler and rads. 

I may be wrong, but I got the impression that UFH was more economical to be kept running at a low temperate, (but I don't know any actual running cost figures to support my impression), rather than turning fully off, to then start bringing back up to temperature from a much colder level. They normally have the two thermostats, (floor & room) and a minimum temp to keep the floor at even when the building is empty. However I would think a better solution to your problem may be a smart-phone connected type thermostat. So if your owner knows the guests are out, a quick check on the phone can adjust the heating.

Doc H.
Ha, now that's what I'm talking about! Brilliant, thanks very much for the link,;I reckon they'll be very interested in this option.

Cheers Doc,

Much appreciated 

John.