Spaghetti Junction as was.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just spotted this , just amazing how things move on .        This crossroads with it's trolley bus wires  is the site of  Spaghetti Junction  (   Proper name ...The Gravelly Hill Interchange)  in 1931  

image 3.jpeg

download.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My local high st then and now

myddleton_road_then.jpg.7a8b01968f2e07b92ba28e97e91f884c.jpg

myddleton-road-4.jpg.dafb4094c4cf21c48734c380aba39323.jpg

Befores & afters fascinate me ,    I see those two bay windows have been extended to roof level .

And in the top one I remember being able to park a bike at the curb  like that &  it was still there when you came back . 

I remember going into the town where I was born, it's only about 5 miles from where I live, but I don't go there very often, and every time I do something has changed, there are non of the old buildings that I remember, the little cafe at the park went, followed by the mini zoo, a lot of the old buildings have been flattened, factories closed. It's like the planners are slowly and steadily demolishing my past.

I was talking to an old bloke about this, he was in his 70's, he thought for a moment, then replied, "it's ok for you, you've not as much past to lose as I have", and you know, he was right.

things change and move on. I miss all the boating pools that used to exist in every park. Used to play in the one on New Brighton sea front when I was a kid visiting relatives in Wallasey @phil d

Last edited by a moderator:
things change and move on. I miss all the boating pools that used to exist in every park. Used to play in the one on New Brighton sea front when I was a kid visiting relatives in Wallasey @phil d
There were also those drinking fountains, a metal thing with a bowl top, and a lever or button you pressed to get water, a lot of my family on my mum's side worked for the local council, one lived in a cottage at the cemetary gates, he was head gravedigger or something, another one was head gardener at the biggest park in the town, this was back in the late 1800's early 1900's, I remember my grandma telling me how he (I think he was her grandfather) as head gardener was allowed certain perks of the job, one of which was being able to take home any tail feathers that the peacocks lost. Apparently they had them in a vase in the front window of the terraced house they lived in and were thought of as a bit posh by the neighbours.

I remember as a kid being shown this massive and very beautiful multi tiered water feature in the walled garden at the park, it had water that poured out of the mouths of these stone fishes and cascaded down, it even had goldfish in the pond at the bottom, last time I went down, that had been demolished too,

It's an absolute crying shame the way they are destroying some of our past.