Light won’t turn off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scwalker

Reaction score
Hi 

looking for for any help you could offer

I had my house rewired several years ago, we could never decide on an outside light for the front door other than it had to be dusk/dawn, because of that it was left disconnected until recently where we just decided to buy a light. 

I found that this light is part of the outside light fuse, this comprises of my garage lights ( switch at both entrance points to the garage) a rear outside led light I installed myself and this front door light. 

Up until connecting the outside light all in the garage worked as designed. 

When i installed the light, the light switch for the new light was in the off position, I cut the cable to trim and found I had tripped the fuse. 

I left the fuse off until it was fully installed, turned the fuse back on and the outside front door light was on, and wouldn’t switch off!!! The garage lights still work as before. 

If I turn the fuse off I can now turn this front door  light on and off, the lights in the garage are now off as expected.

the light switch for the front door is a shared switch with a hall and upstairs. I assume it’s pulling it’s power from one of thise circuits.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Simon

I am in Leeds. I plan to call a sparky but just trying to rule out anything potentially obvious before I paid top £ for a 2 minute cable move. 

The light we we bought in the end does not have a disk till dawn sensor.

before I paid top £ for a 2 minute cable move. 

You know the old story.. "Two thousand pounds and all you did was hit it with a hammer!"   " Yes sir , but it was knowing where to hit it".

I am in Leeds. I plan to call a sparky but just trying to rule out anything potentially obvious before I paid top £ for a 2 minute cable move. 

It was probably wired as a permanent supply as you originally specified a slight with a sensor. So it is no surprise that the light is on all the time as you have fitted one without a sensor.

You need an additional switch. I am guessing the existing switch is 1 or 2 gang? You probably need to change the switch to one with one more gang, and rewire it.  It should not take long hopefully and won't cost much.

Last edited by a moderator:

might be a 2 minute cable move, but it takes that electricians knowledge  & experience of how it should work to know what cable to move

if it was that simple you wouldnt be here asking for help

Last edited by a moderator:
We have had sensor lights in the past that allowed us to switch off, the one I was Installed from the garage to the back garden us exactly that.

the switch is a three gang including, hall which is served by two switches, landing served by two and this single outside light. 

Thanks for your feedback, sparky it is.

Was it a 2 core & earth cable installed for the light or 3 core & earth?

Very often a 3 core is used with one being neutral, one being switched L from the switch and one being permanent L. If so you may have connected the wrong one.

I cant say 100% from your description but its possible you did something wrong and have welded the switch contacts together.  Try disconnecting the cable from the switch and see if the light is still on. Ensure the circuits off and cables are safe.